Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
What's Going On
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
Mike Watson: Sep 1942 difficult, but inspirational, time for U.S.A
Dedication services for Beulah Chapel, Edmonton Methodist Church, Stoner Creek Methodist, and Creelsboro Christian churches all occurred during September 1942, during World War II.
Click on headline for complete story
By Mike Watson, Adair County Historian
August and September 1942 was a difficult time for America, and a time of inspiration--
The United States was at war with the Axis Powers as the summer of 1942 was coming to a close. Concern for the fate of the nation, and the world, was upon the hearts and minds of every citizen. Young men were being, or had already been, called up for service in the Armed Forces, and many more would be sent soon for examination. Patriotism ran high. The war was new for the Americans, already years-old for our Allies.
Great fear and doubt bring renewed faith in God. World War II brought many to their knees who had not been there before, or lately. This was evident all around and was reflected in the news of the day. The Adair County News regularly featured mention of church services, revival meetings, Sunday School events, and much more. This was an old practice, dating to the first issues of the paper in late 1897. Religious announcements were chronicled in the issues of August and September 1942, including:
"There will be a dedication service at the new Beulah Chapel located five miles from Columbia on highway 206, on Sunday, September 6. This new Chapel has been built by members and friends of the Brethren in Christ Church and Rev. Albert Engle is the pastor. Bishop O.B. Ulrey, of Springfield, Ohio, will officiate at the dedication. The program will start at 10 o'clock in the morning and will last throughout the day. A cordial invitation is extended the public to attend." --2 September 1942
"An all-day celebration marked the dedication of the new Methodist Church at Edmonton last Sunday. Rev. Claude Squires, an Adair County boy, is pastor and the church was built under his regime. Rev. V.P. Henry, District Superintendent, delivered the dedication sermon in the absence of Bishop U.V.W. Darlington. Rev. J.W. Rayburn, of Greensburg, was an assisting pastor at the dedication service in the afternoon. At the noon hour dinner was served in the basement of the new building..." --2 September 1942
"The Stoner Creek Methodist Church, located between Mannsville and Merrimac, in Taylor County, was dedicated on Sunday. The program began at 11 o'clock in the morning and lasted until 3:30 in the afternoon with dinner served on the grounds. Rev. O.J. Polley delivered the dedicatory sermon at 2 p.m., and the dedication service followed." --2 September 1942
"The new Christian Church at Creelsboro was dedicated on Sunday, August 30. The building is entirely free of debt with money left over to buy needed furniture and equipment. Elder Tom Bledsoe, son of Mr. and Mrs. Willis Bledsoe, was assisted in the dedication service by Rev. Kirby Smith, of Burkesville, and Rev. H. Gordon Bennett, of Chelan, Mich. Rev. Smith, who had charge of the dedication in the afternoon, will continue revival services there through Thursday." --2 September 1942
This story was posted on 2018-02-16 10:44:45
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
More articles from topic Local History:
Mitzi Bault: Grandpa Waggener's WWII ration card
JIM: Chelf Motor Co. became Columbia Motor Co - Aug 1928
George Rice: Mr. Arnold Coomer really loved pawpaws
Hunter Durham: Coomer's stored law records after hotel fire
You could buy almost anything at Hob's Store in Gradyville
Headlines from Adair County News, February 1943
Mike Watson: Adair County as seat of learning, in the law
Bicycles, Lunatics and a Crazy Old Witch
Frances Salyers: Revelation of plans for Old Roley Schoolhouse
JIM: Epperson-Jeffries-Collins hack service to/from Columbia
View even more articles in topic Local History
Bank of Columbia
The Best of
Local Stories of
The Greatest Generation
Order Book or e-Book
See who's celebrating
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Special Events List
Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.