Everything for Your Home's
Beauty, Comfort & Convenience
704 Jamestown St, Columbia
Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Duo County Telecom
Now Available Through
Your Cable Service!
What's Going On
see ColumbiaMagazine'sEvents List
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Get weather alerts for Adair County
Provided by the Adair Co Fiscal Court and the Adair Co. Emergency Mgt. Agency
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
Community says goodbye to Anthony & Tammy Reece
Click on headline for complete story with photo(s)
The first, small measure of closure came today, Saturday, July 23, 2016, to a nightmare week which began with the news that a popular young Adair County couple had lost their lives in a terrible boating accident on Lake Lanier in Georgia where they'd gone with their friends from Mt. Washington, KY for a charity boat race.
The news on Friday, July 15, 2016 of the fears that the Anthony and Tammy Reece may have been killed in a boating accident was met with disbelief and hopes that it could somehow be a mistake or, if they were in an accident, that they somehow survived it, but the confirmation that it was true came in less than a 48 hour wait, one which seemed an eternity to those who still held out hope.
It was confirmed early Sunday, July 17, 2016. The bodies of both couples -- Tammy and Anthony Reece, along with those of their friends Arthur and Melissa McMahan from Mt. Washington, KY -- were found by divers using sonar equipment. The speed boat the two couples were in had reportedly hit a wake and overturned Friday afternoon on Lake Lanier in Hall County, Georgia.
The women's bodies were the first to be recovered Friday afternoon and early Saturday morning. The search was then put on hold during the day Saturday due to heavy lake event traffic, and early Sunday morning officials let word out that they'd found the two men's bodies also.
Through the week there were so many shared, unforgettable moments, culminating Saturday, July 23, 2016 with somber, sacred tributes at joint services and visitation held in the Adair County Middle School to hold the huge crowd of those who loved them, followed by the journey to the couple's final resting place in the supremely peaceful Cane Valley Cemetery, high on the hill near a wooded section of the burial grounds.
This is an umbrella story with links walking us back through the week of news and photos. It may help friends and family members wanting quick access to our local part of the greater story as well as in future genealogist research. Organization will be updated over the next few days. Links follow:
The links will be updated and many photos from today and yesterday will be linked to this page.
This story was posted on 2016-07-23 23:34:56
- Adair awaits fate of two, Lake Lanier speedboat accident on ColumbiaMagazine.com with several outside links. This story was posted on 2016-07-15 18:51:41
- Larry Smith: Anthony & Tammy Reece in Lake Lanier boat crash on ColumbiaMagazine.com, with links. This story was posted on 2016-07-16 10:25:51
- Latest - Worst fears confirmed on fate of Reeces: CBS 46 link on ColumbiaMagazine.com. This story was posted on 2016-07-17 09:32:15, with links
- Community grieving for losses of Tammy and Anthony Reece on ColumbiaMagazine.com. Photo. 2016-07-17 - Coburg, Adair County, KY - Photo of the couple at Anthony's Auto Sales.
- Escort group being organized to meet hearse bearing Anthony & Tammy Reece with photo.
- Services for Anthony & Tammy Reece will be at Grissom-Martin on ColumbiaMagazine.com. This story was posted on 2016-07-18 05:18:38
- Anthony Reece, 45, Adair County, KY (1970-2016) on ColumbiaMagazine.com with photo. This story was posted on 2016-07-19 14:33:01
- Tammy Reece, 44, Adair County, KY (1972-2016) on ColumbiaMagazine.com. This story was posted on 2016-07-19 15:11:58
- Butch still shows up for breakfast, but knows something amiss.. Photo by Melissa Moore.
- Preparing to escort Anthony & Tammy Reece home, photo of Doug Hatcher and Bobby Downey. Posted 2016-07-19 - Columbia Walmart, Columbia, KY - Photo by Ed Waggener.
- Link: Atlanta Constitution identifies names of Lake Lanier boat occupants on ColumbiaMagazine.com. This story was posted on 2016-07-16 09:56:24
- Remembering Anthony & Tammy Reece: They loved life on ColumbiaMagazine.com. An aunt's beautiful first tribute. By Brenda Henson. This story was posted on 2016-07-18 05:30:02
- Insights from aunt: Anthony was worker, a fanatic on cleanliness on ColumbiaMagazine.com. A Classic Story by Brenda Henson, tenderly told with the humor she and her sister Barbara were renowned for. Posted on 2016-07-20 05:49:20
- Always the showman, Anthony Reece had flair for publicity. on ColumbiaMagazine.com. 2016-07-17 - Coburg, KY - Photo by Tammy Reece of Anthony Reece delivering truck to famed NASCAR and Busch Series race car driver, Sterling Marlin
- Butch still shows up for breakfast, but knows something amiss on ColumbiaMagazine.com
- Stacy Melton thanks all for tribute to Anthony & Tammy Reece This story was posted on 2016-07-19 10:06:01 on ColumbiaMagazine.com
- Columbia PD extends prayers to families of Anthony & Tammy Reece by Ofc. Josh Brockman. This story was posted on 2016-07-18 13:55:26, with Columbia Police Department photo by Josh Brockman.
- Links: Boating tragedy, Lake Lanier, Georgia This story was posted on 2016-07-16 08:11:59 on ColumbiaMagazine.com
- Hearse carrying Anthony & Tammy Reece home at Livingston, TN at 2:30pmCT This story was posted on 2016-07-18 14:37:54 on ColumbiaMagazine.com
- Security tightens around Anthony's, as worst is confirmed Photo. Posted on 2016-07-17 - Coburg, KY - Photo by Ed Waggener, ColumbiaMagazine.com (c).
- Procession for Anthony & Tammy Reese. Posted 2016-07-18 - Burkesville Street at Adair County Veterans Memorial Highway - Photo by Linda Waggener on ColumbiaMagazine.com
- Remembering Anthony & Tammy Reece Photo of Vicky Hatcher, Sherry Patrick, Cindy Patrick, and Debbie Ward, from procession from Walmart to Grissom-Martin Funeral Home on ColumbiaMagazine.com. Posted 2016-07-19 - Columbia Walmart, 2988 Burkesville Rd, Columbia, KY 42728 - Photo by Ed Waggener.
- Speed a 'major factor' in deadly Lake Lanier boat crash
. Link to outside story in Atlanta Constitution, AJC.com, posted 3:01 p.m. Monday, July 18, 2016, by Tyler Estep.
- Brenda Henson: Thanks for community support for Reece family. Thank you note from Anthony's Aunt Brenda Henson.
this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story?
Use our contact form
and let us know.
Obituaries on this Site and Historical Information in Archived Obituaries
Are made possible in part through the support ofGrissom-Martin Funeral Home
Established in 1926
Located one block off the Square at 200 Campbellsville Street in Columbia, KY. (MAP
) To reach David and Cathy Martin, phone (270)-384-2149, or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Large enough to serve comfortably; Small enough to serve personally.
Searching obituaries? Here is a useful tool!
Links to Last 200 Obituaries posted on ColumbiaMagazine.com
If you find this helpful, let us know. If you still don't find a recent obituary for Adair, Casey, Cumberland, Green, Metcalfe, Russell, or Taylor Counties, KY, let us know at 270-250-2730
To sponsor news and features on ColumbiaMagazine, please use our contact form.
Anthony and Tammy Reece honored with many good memories|
2016-07-21 - Brimstone - Photo by Leslie Coffey shared by Shamarie Harper.
Anthony and Tammy Reece are being remembered with a huge outpouring of love and admiration by a lifetime of family and friends. This is one of the photos being shared around the world by those who were close to the couple. Shamarie Harper posted it with her note of heartbreak when she got confirmation of their deaths because, she said, "it is so them -- Anthony with no shoes on, those big smiles on them both, it was taken at Brimstone." The couple's joint funeral service will be held Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 10amCT at the Adair County Middle School Gymnasium, 322 Gen. John Adair Drive, Columbia, KY. Visitation is after 3pmCT tomorrow, Friday, July 22, 2016, at the Adair County Middle School Gymnasium and after 7amCT Saturday until time of the funeral service.
Read More... | Comments? | Click here to share, print, or bookmark this photo.