Printed from:

Welcome to Columbia Magazine  

JIM- One hundred years ago: late November, 1915

Thanksgiving 1915 passed quietly in Adair County, KY.
Click on headline for complete obituary


Over in the Rugby section, a scholastic entertainment held at Bird schoolhouse with no fewer than six schools represented that on that long ago Thursday night drew a packed house, so many that "lots could not get in." The speaker, Adair County Superintendent of Schools Tobias Huffaker, drew high praise from the correspondent, who stated that the educator "gave us the best Thanksgiving lecture I ever heard." In addition, "there were some fine dialogues and exercises," and of course, "lots of dinner."

Similar "exhibitions" were held at Breeding on Thanksgiving Day and at Wilson schoolhouse on Friday. Up Knifley way, "The social at S.H. Knifley's Thanksgiving night was largely attended. All reported a nice time," and several from Knifley had presented themselves at the social "at Allen Harmon's, near Purdy," the same evening.

Mr. Wm. M. Wilmore, the ever-faithful Gradyville scribe for the News, expressed his appreciation for the folks who arranged (decorated) the Union church for the Thanksgiving Day services held there, and noted of the gathering itself, "everything was in perfect order and the exercises of the day were good."

In Columbia, the business houses closed in observance of Thanksgiving services held at the Baptist Church. Rev. S.G. Shelley, Presiding Elder of the Columbia District, ably preached an appropriate sermon. Afterwards, "A collection was taken up for orphan children, and the sum raised was divided between all the Churches of this place, to be distributed by them."

Curiously (or perhaps not), sports news from the Thanksgiving weekend drew more front page ink in the News of December 1st than did anything else. On Thanksgiving Day, the mighty K.S.D. football team from Danville rolled into Columbia to take on the Lindsey Wilson eleven, a game which drew a large crowd to Arbor Vitae hill. Although the big lads from K.S.D. knew their plays well, "the stern resistance and fierce offensive of the Lindsey boys [made it] a hard contest." Time and time again, brilliant playing by one team or the other checked the opponent's scoring drive at what seemed like the last possible instant. When the final horn sounded, however, the home team eleven had made more stops than had the Danvillians, and the score stood at 27 to nothing, much to the delight of the home team crowd who had paid the princely sum of twenty-five cents apiece as the price of admission. Said the News,

"The playing of Dave Dulworth, who was a tower of strength on the defensive, was very significant in his forging the ball forward on three touchdowns, while the speed of Jim Lewis advanced the ball for long gains that eventually meant scores. The tackling of Powers was at all times evident."

With this victory, the Lindsey team retired from the gridiron for the season with a perfect 4-0 record after allowing their opponents to cross the goal line only once in the four games combined.

The next night -- Friday, November 26, 1915 -- the Monticello basketball team came to town with every intention of keeping intact their four year winning streak. The Columbia High gymnasium (which seated 200), "was crowded to its utmost capacity with enthusiastic rooters," including a fair-sized contingent from Wayne County.

The first half was a seesaw affair that saw Columbia's Antle (forward) score two buckets and Acre (center) one and the team as whole tally seven points on free throws, but the period ended with Monticello in the lead 16 to 12. Over the course of the second half, the CHS quintet made up the four point deficit, and the second half ended with the score tied, forcing overtime play. When the final horn sounded, Columbia held the edge 29 to 28. The final scoring for CHS was Antle, two goals; Lewis (forward), two; and Acre, two, for a total of 12 points on baskets; the remaining seventeen points came from foul shots. The other two players for Columbia were the guards, Dunbar and Young.

"After the game the Columbia High School entertained the young folks from Monticello and the young people of the town at the Gym. A happy time was reported by all. Monticello left for home at 1 o'clock, a.m., Saturday." - JIM

This story was posted on 2015-11-27 11:26:48
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.


Quick Links to Popular Features

Looking for a story or picture?
Try our Photo Archive or our Stories Archive for all the information that's appeared on


Contact us: Columbia Magazine and are published by Linda Waggener and Pen Waggener, PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.
Phone: 270.403.0017

Please use our contact page, or send questions about technical issues with this site to All logos and trademarks used on this site are property of their respective owners. All comments remain the property and responsibility of their posters, all articles and photos remain the property of their creators, and all the rest is copyright 1995-Present by Columbia Magazine. Privacy policy: use of this site requires no sharing of information. Voluntarily shared information may be published and made available to the public on this site and/or stored electronically. Anonymous submissions will be subject to additional verification. Cookies are not required to use our site. However, if you have cookies enabled in your web browser, some of our advertisers may use cookies for interest-based advertising across multiple domains. For more information about third-party advertising, visit the NAI web privacy site.