Everything for Your Home's
Beauty, Comfort & Convenience 384-2123
704 Jamestown St, Columbia
Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
Real Estate & Auction Co.
Duo County Telecom
Now Available Through
Your Cable Service!
GUN & PAWN
What's Going On
Info about the
Janice Holt Giles
and Henry Giles Society
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
JIM: 100 years ago, mid October 1915
Snow and heavy rains plagued Adair County 100 years ago about this time of year, as today, it was a time of a great many revivals and church news was big; the Sandusky Brothers, agents for Ford automobiles, advertised a car for $461; a new planing mill was built in White City; and Lindsey Wilson was preparing for its first-ever football game, set for October 23, 2015
Click on headline for news of Adair County 100 years ago.
Mid-October 1915 found Adair County in the midst of a cold snap with long time News correspondent W.M. Wilmore reporting snow within the metes and bounds of Gradyville. Preceding the snow, heavy rains had fallen. The paper reported "Pelham Branch was higher last week than ever known before," and Mr. Wilmore stated the same about Big Creek. Weather notwithstanding, there were enough goings-on reported in the October 13th edition to sate the heartiest of news appetites.
The Fiscal Court had just spent thirty-five hundred dollars on road equipment, most notably a roller, engine, grader, and rock crusher, and openly congratulated itself for making a shrewd deal. The News, ever a champion of improved transportation, endorsed the expenditure, optimistically opining "the outlook is good for making better roads in Adair County."
Several articles about Columbia's churches dotted the front page landscape. The annual United Brethren Conference was held in that denomination's brand new house of worship, beginning on October 13th, Bishop Mathews presiding. Plans were set for the dedication of the structure on Sunday, October 17th, almost exactly a decade after plans to build were first announced. Both the dedication and a basket dinner held at the church that same day were open to the general public and were well attended. (Sadly, the congregation couldn't meet the financial obligations incurred by the construction of the building; it and the lot upon which it was situated went on the market less than three years later. For more detail, see JIM: The United Brethren on Jamestown Hill.)
The recently completed Russell Creek Baptist Associational meeting -- "the boundary of the Association is two hundred miles long and forty miles wide" -- was also held in Columbia that year. The News, (with staunch Baptist Charles Snow Harris at the helm as editor) observed of the gathering, "While in session here there was an abundance of edibles on the ground each day, and the gathering was pronounced a very successful one."
Meanwhile, following the recently closed Methodist Conference, Rev. J.S. Chandler, pastor of the Columbia church, and Rev. W.G. Hogard, P.E. of the Columbia District, were leaving for other posts. The local M.E.C., S. congregations were preparing to welcome the new pastor, Rev. W.R. Waggoner, and the new P.E., Rev. S.G. Shelley. The latter had lived in Columbia some years earlier, and Rev. Waggoner, late of Campbellsville, also had ties to Columbia, his daughter being a student at the Lindsey Wilson.
On the Columbia business front, Mr. Oma Barbee had purchased an automobile for his hack and cartage line between Columbia and Campbellsville. Finis Rosenbaum had just opened a new grocery store and if folks called in their orders (ring 152), he would deliver inside the corporate limits of town. The Sandusky Brothers, agents for Ford automobiles, offered the horseless carriage for $461, while Russell & Co. advertised "Everything New and Desirable in Classy Merchandise" in their just-opened fall line of stock.
T.G. Rasner offered sugar at six cents pound to all, with an even lower price for those who ponied up a dollar for membership in his Cash Union Store, and "every thing in the store is priced according to [the] sugar." The brothers Sinclair announced they had bought L.W. Bennet's stock of merchandise and were selling same at reduced prices, and W.H. Wilson offered livery services with the promise to take good care of the horses and buggies of the traveling public.
Cook & Coffey were doing a splendid business training horses; erection of Walker Bryant & Elijah Burton's planing mill house in White City went on at a rapid rate; and multi-talented tinner Samuel Elijah (S.E.) Bridgewater, located above L.W. Bennett's store, offered his services for roofing and guttering and such as well as for fabricating sheet iron stoves, galvanized tanks, and sand pumps.
Up on Lindsey Wilson Hill, preparation continued apace for the school's first-ever football game, said contest to be held on October 23rd. A week before the contest, to be held on the LWTS campus, the News reported the Lindsey lads -- "a husky set of youngsters" -- had been training for a number of weeks. One sentence in the article tells in the microcosm the changes wrought in the intervening century: "[The players] will this week take up some trees and do some tilling so as to be able to lay off a full size grid iron." (The Lindsey eleven completed the 1915 campaign with a perfect 4-0 record and collectively outscored their opponents 189-7. Of the four opposing teams, only Bardstown managed to break the plane of the Lindsey goal line to put points on the board.)
This story was posted on 2015-10-18 08:40:11
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
To sponsor news and features on ColumbiaMagazine, please use our contact form.