ColumbiaMagazine.com
Printed from:

Welcome to Columbia Magazine  
 
























 
JIM: The little barber shop, the Bank, and the drug store

Specifically: Mr. Hill's building, the Paull Drug Co., and the new Bank of Columbia building
About: Favorite Postcard: West Corner Public Square, Columbia, KY from the collection of Master Kasey Blue Kessler and Eddie & Tiffany Kessler

By JIM

The Bank of Columbia building shown in the photo was well under construction when Fred Hill announced plans around the middle of September 1922 to erect a business house between the new banking emporium and the Paull Drug Co. building. The site was the "narrow vacant lot" mentioned in the News almost exactly a year earlier.


The previous Bank of Columbia structure, located on the corner of the Square and Burkesville, had gone up in flames in September 1921 in the Great Conflagration on the Square, as had the other two business buildings between the bank and the Paull Drug Co., the latter almost certainly being spared from the flames by the aforementioned vacant lot.

The Paull Drug Co. building--the one with four upstairs windows--and its companion (three upstairs windows) shown in the photograph were started in late 1910 and the spring of 1911, respectively. They were complete enough by mid-December 1911 for Mr. R.F. Paull to occupy the main floor of his building (in the photo, the words "Paull Drug Co." are visible in the left window) and for Mr. W.H. Wilson, a grocer, to occupy the main floor of the other.

Mr. Richard (R.F.) Paull had removed from Cumberland County to Columbia several years earlier and opened a pharmacy. He soon was joined by his younger brother Thomas (T.F.) who clerked for a number years before purchasing a half interest in the enterprise and eventually buying out R.F. around 1900. When T.F. died in late 1907, R.F. resumed management of the drug store, and their nephew, Fred Hill, remained as clerk. Fred became a licensed pharmacist in the summer of 1913. When R.F. passed in July 1918, the News stated the drug store was owned by Fred Hill and O.A. Taylor. - JIM


This story was posted on 2013-09-21 02:14:46
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.


 

To sponsor news and features on ColumbiaMagazine, please use our contact form.

 

























 
 
Quick Links to Popular Features


 

ColumbiaMagazine.com content is available as an RSS/XML feed for your RSS reader or other news aggregator.
Use the following link: http://www.columbiamagazine.com/columbiamagazinerss.php.

Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.
Phone: 270-250-2730 Fax: 270-751-0401


Please use our contact page, or send questions about technical issues with this site to webmaster@columbiamagazine.com. All logos and trademarks used on this site are property of their respective owners. All comments remain the property and responsibility of their posters, all articles and photos remain the property of their creators, and all the rest is copyright 1995-Present by Columbia! Magazine and D'Zine, Ltd. Privacy policy: use of this site requires no sharing of information. Voluntarily shared information may be published and made available to the public on this site and/or stored electronically. Anonymous submissions will be subject to additional verification. Cookies are not required to use our site. However, if you have cookies enabled in your web browser, some of our advertisers may use cookies for interest-based advertising across multiple domains. For more information about third-party advertising, visit the NAI web privacy site.