Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
What's Going On
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
JIM: The story of the Tebb's Bend Monument
Daughters of the Confederacy, Lebanon, KY, purchased the ground for the monument in 1913
Click on headline for complete story
This brief article appeared in the May 7, 1913 Adair County News:
"Green River Monument
The organization of The Daughters of the Confederacy, located at Lebanon, Ky., has purchased the ground at Green River Confederate Monument and a deed has been turned over to the society. Steps will be taken at once to build a rock wall around the grounds and the monument is to be enclosed with a nice iron fence. Money is now being raised for this purpose. Persons in this part of the State who desire to give something for this purpose, will call on Mr. J.W. Thompson, who will forward the donations to the society."
A much longer article in the August 6 edition noted the move for improvements at the site "has been given impetus by an appeal issued by prominent Confederate veterans to the survivors of Morgan's command."
The appeal, signed by James B. McCreary, John B. Castleman, Bennett H. Young, and Basil W. Duke, reported that "The wall and fence have fallen into decay, the foundations of the monument have weakened and it is necessary to rebuild the walls and repair the damages that have come to the memorial."
The missive from the aforementioned gentlemen went on to state that the cost of improvements and needed repairs was more than had been anticipated, and that while the Daughters of the Confederacy had raised a considerable amount, "about $350 in addition will be needed for doing what is necessary to maintain the little cemetery made sacred by the dust of our gallant comrades."
The appeal concluded with by saying, "We believe that all those who are able will consider it both a privilege and an honor to unite in this effort to properly preserve the graves and mark the spot where sleep those who died on that day."
(Two years earlier, one-time Confederate comrades-in-arms J.W. Thompson, Dr. J.H. Grady, and Dr. E.A. Waggener had organized a gathering at "the monument near Green River Bridge" on Decoration Day, Saturday, June 3rd, 1911. The gathering turned into an assemblage of some 4,000 men, women, and children, attendance at the event perhaps spurred because of the unconditional invitation extended via the News "to every body to be present, but particularly to the veterans who wore the Gray and the Blue in the Civil War." More of the story of that day of coming together is told here: Memorial Day: Bitterness of Past Forgotten (1911-06-03).)
This story was posted on 2013-05-30 22:05:46
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
More articles from topic Jim: History:
JIM: Remembering Ovalene Foley Rexroat
Jim: Commencement in Columbia, 1913 II, Columbia Graded
JIM: Western's commencement redux
JIM: 100 years ago - Commencement in Columbia, 1913
JIM: This town never fails to respond
JIM: The old Lapsley barn - I will let it stand
JIM: Appeals to know precisely what occasioned comment
JIM: Clearifies Jackman lineage; side-notes C.R. Hutchison story
JIM: The lineage of a grocery store (1903-1918)
JIM: Truthmongering is a lonely, thankless business
View even more articles in topic Jim: History
Bank of Columbia
The Best of
Local Stories of
The Greatest Generation
Order Book or e-Book
See who's celebrating
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Special Events List
Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.