Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
What's Going On
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
LWC receives 1920s materials from estate of Russell Co. alumnus
Items are from the estate of late Philip T. Aaron of Russell County, KY, given by his daughter Mary Blakey and husband Gary, both of Jamestown, KY
Click on headline for story with photo(s)
By Duane Bonifer
News from Lindsey Wilson College
COLUMBIA, KY - It cost $6 per month to attend Lindsey Wilson Junior College in 1928-29, but $2.50 a month if a student wanted to take only shorthand and typewriting.
That was among the facts discussed Monday morning at Lindsey Wilson when the college received a half-dozen items from the late 1920s. The items belonged to the late Philip T. Aaron of Russell County, KY, who attended Lindsey Wilson from 1927-29.
Aaron's daughter, Mary Blakey, and her husband, Gary, both of Jamestown, KY, brought the items to the LWC Sue Craven Stivers Alumni House to present them to LWC Alumni Director Randy Burns. The items will be placed in the college's archives, located in the Katie Murrell Library of the Holloway Building.
The items donated Monday include five pictures and a copy of the the 44-page 1928-29 Lindsey Wilson Bulletin. That school year began September 11, 1928, with a "formal opening and matriculation of students" and concluded May 24, 1929, with commencement.
The 1928-29 Bulletin lists the 222 students enrolled at Lindsey Wilson in 1927-28; ernollment was included the junior college (86), high school (95), and commercial and music departments (41). Twelve faculty and staff were listed for 1928-29, and Lindsey Wilson was led by President and Business Manager R.V. Bennett, who also taught Bible and mathematics. Murrell was the college's registrar.
For $2.50 a semester, students received unlimited use of the library, which featured 2,800 books and was located in "a well-lighted room on the second floor of the Main Building," now known as the L.R. McDonald Administration Building. The library was "furnished with chairs and tables and is supplied with the best magazines and papers."
In addition to the Main Building, the Bulletin lists six other college buildings on the campus: the Gymnasium, now W.W. Slider Humanities Center; Girls' Dormitory, now Phillips Hall; Boys' Dormitory, a three-story building renamed Chandler Hall and razed more than 30 years ago; a dairy barn; president's home; and a new "nice frame residence, adjoining the campus, for the use of married teachers."
It cost $15 per month to live in the the dormitories, which was paid in advance. Male students were required to make a $3 damage deposit and 50-cent key deposit. If students wanted a light more powerful than the 40-watt bulb supplied by the college, they were "charged an additional rate." Students also had to pay an extra $1.50 per semester if they wanted to use an electric iron.
After he graduated from Lindsey Wilson, Aaron taught school for a year in a Russell County, then enjoyed a 21-year career in the Navy. He was at Pearl Harbor when it was bombed by the Japanese on December 7, 1941, and he served in the Pacific Theater in World War II before retiring as a lieutenant commander. He returned to Russell County, where he was a post office clerk before retiring from that post. He died in 2005 at the age of 95.
This story was posted on 2013-04-30 03:11:42
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
More articles from topic Local History:
Jackson Brower wishes he'd had Barnetts Creek Style bridge
Followup: This town never fails to respond
JIM & MIKE WATSON: Notes on Egypt, Adair County
Notes from a native Egyptian: On how Egypt, KY got its name
V.T. Yarberry says Mayor Billy Rice has answers
Some information on the church of Christ at Egypt
A history question which has stumped historians
Taylor Co. Courthouse mural celebrates Union Army moment
BJF Comment: Big Trees II - The Miller timber sale in 1905
Big Trees II: The Miller sale in 1905; Adair-Russell Co. KY
View even more articles in topic Local History
Bank of Columbia
The Best of
Local Stories of
The Greatest Generation
Order Book or e-Book
See who's celebrating
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Special Events List
Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.