Printed from:

Welcome to Columbia Magazine  

Happy Tails: Easter is Anniversary of move to Columbia

It was seven years ago Easter Weekend that Peg Schaeffer made the 1,000 mile move from Connecticut to Kentucky to set up Sugarfoot Farm Rescue. Now the rescue is firmly established. 'It was meant to be,' she says, of this stage of her destiny.
The next earlier Happy Tail: The 1,000 Mile Journey to a New Home - Sky

By Peg Schaeffer

Easter is the anniversary of our move to Columbia, KY. Seven years ago on Good Friday my son, Chip, and I loaded some of our horses into trailers and started our 1,000 mile trek to our new home. Chip drove a truck and trailer with 4 horses in it and I drove a rig with 5 horses. Of course we had several dogs with us. Our plan was to drive straight through, stopping every four hours to feed and water the horses so that we'd arrive sometime on Saturday.

As with the best laid plans of mice and men things didn't work out as intended. Not too far into Pennsylvania the trailer Chip was pulling broke down. We pulled over and waited for help. Two policemen stopped and escorted us off the exit and to an area where there was a service station that would open in the morning and could hopefully help us. In the meantime we had two trailers and 9 horses which would need to be unloaded. As luck would have it there was a cattle barn down the road where they held auctions and it was empty. So the horses had a place to stay. Unfortunately Chip and I didn't. So we slept in the truck and waited for the service station to open.

In the morning after problem after problem we were able to hit the road again. It seems like everything that could go wrong went wrong. We finally rolled into Columbia late Saturday night (more like early Sunday morning). We unloaded the horses and turned them out in the pasture. Chip slept in the front of the truck and I slept on the front porch.

In the morning we unhooked the trailers, checked on the horses and headed to the Louisville airport for Chip to catch his plane to fly back to Connecticut. We were going to stop and have a leisurely breakfast when it dawned on me that we were probably in a different time zone than the airport. When we realized we were not on time but an hour behind schedule we literally flew to the airport. We got there in the nick of time. I stopped in front of the departure door for the airline, Chip leaped out, and off he went back to Connecticut and I stayed in Kentucky.

So I drove back to Columbia wondering if I had done the right thing. Moving South was something I had been planning since I graduated from high school. And I had done it. What had I gotten myself into? Had I done the right thing?

When I got back to the house some of my horses were missing. Typical horses - the grass is always greener on the other side. Even though the pastures were full of thick, lush grass they found an opening in the fence and went for a walk through the woods. I had brought some of my dogs with me so off we went looking for the horses. We found a field full of daffodils in bloom. They were so beautiful. There were streams and fields and lots of trails. I couldn't wait to saddle up a horse and go exploring. I guess they decided they couldn't wait for me.

After two hours and finding no sight of the horses I went back to the farm and drove into town. I talked to the Columbia police who notified the State Police and went back home. Since we hadn't had the closing for the house yet it was locked so I spent the night sleeping on the car port. About midnight there was headlights in the driveway. Two men had found the horses and had them tied at their house. I followed them with the trailer, loaded up my wayward steeds and brought them home.

Originally the closing was scheduled for Monday but it was postponed until Tuesday so I had the day to work outside. Since I still couldn't get into the house I had to wash up at the outside faucet. Almost like camping. Luckily the weather was warm and sleeping on the carport wasn't a problem.

Tuesday was the closing. Again the time difference and I went the wrong direction on the Louie Nuhn Parkway. Nobody warned me that you have to go another 20 miles before you get to an exit, so I was late for the closing. Luckily everyone was very understanding. The closing was over and the house was mine. Ann had given me the keys I was able to actually go inside. The time difference struck again. The power had been turned off and Taylor Co. RECC was an hour ahead - so my first night in the house I had no power.

Seven years later and I'm still adjusting to the time difference and the idea of living in a dry county, but other than that I love it here. Everyone is so friendly. I've never felt like a stranger. I have made many friends and am starting to understand the language. "Pop" instead of soda. "Sack" instead of bag. "Y'all" instead of "You guys". Bedroom "suit" instead of "suite". Everyone waves, says "hi", and makes you feel at home.

The generosity of everyone towards the rescue is amazing. I have received many donations of dog food, toys, blankets, towels and money. The businesses in the area have also been very supportive and I could have never done this without everyone's support. It has been a big help and I can't thank everyone enough for their kindness. I'm looking forward to the next seven years and more. As I look back I was destined to move to Kentucky. From the time I was in grammar school I always watched the Kentucky Derby. Keith and I met on the Kentucky Derby. One of the first books I read was "Aristides, the first Kentucky Derby Winner. I read Black Gold, Old Bones, Seabiscuit, and Ruffian - all and any books about race horses. I even owned a horse "Sea Bulls Seven" who was a grandson of Seabiscuit. I have a Jim Beam decanter that I purchased with a mare and foal on it. I even have the Kenny Roger's Christmas Album with "Christmas in Kentucky" on it. So it was fate that I end up in Columbia, KY. Again my favorite line "It was mean't to be."

Happy Easter to everyone from all of us at Sugarfoot Farm. - Peg Schaeffer
Contact us if you would like to help.

Peg Schaeffer
860 Sparksville Road
Columbia, KY 42728
Home telephone: 270-378-4521
Cell phone: 270-634-4675

This story was posted on 2013-03-31 04:21:34
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.

Happy Tail: Sugarfoot guests on a lazy spring day

2013-03-31 - Sugarfoot Farm Rescue, 860 Sparksville Road, Columbia, KY - Photo by Peg Schaeffer.
Seven years ago on Easter Weekend
Peg Schaeffer moved to her home on Top of the World, a farm on Sparksville Road, with a forever view to help dogs facing a temporary crisis find Furever Home. Above a few of the current registrants luxuriate on the sun deck on the east side of the house. The dogs, From left, are: Dylan, KayLee, Celine, Trinket, Aiden, Lola, Smiley and McKenzie. Have a Happy Easter! - Peg Schaeffer

Read More... | Comments? | Click here to share, print, or bookmark this photo.


Quick Links to Popular Features

Looking for a story or picture?
Try our Photo Archive or our Stories Archive for all the information that's appeared on


Contact us: Columbia Magazine and are published by Linda Waggener and Pen Waggener, PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.
Phone: 270.403.0017

Please use our contact page, or send questions about technical issues with this site to All logos and trademarks used on this site are property of their respective owners. All comments remain the property and responsibility of their posters, all articles and photos remain the property of their creators, and all the rest is copyright 1995-Present by Columbia Magazine. Privacy policy: use of this site requires no sharing of information. Voluntarily shared information may be published and made available to the public on this site and/or stored electronically. Anonymous submissions will be subject to additional verification. Cookies are not required to use our site. However, if you have cookies enabled in your web browser, some of our advertisers may use cookies for interest-based advertising across multiple domains. For more information about third-party advertising, visit the NAI web privacy site.