Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
What's Going On
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
JIM: The Beulah Chapel church building, 1942
Full disclosure: there is some overlap between this short piece and this much longer one by Jason Harmon from early 2006: A gripping story of the Brethren in Christ movement in Adair County, KY - JIM
The Beulah Chapel church building, 1942
The revival currently in progress at Beulah Chapel serves as reminder the building was dedicated 70 years ago come early September. Bro. Albert H. Engle, a Brethren in Christ minister who served in Adair County for 17 years (1927-1944), noted in his autobiographical sketch (penned in 1977) that construction started in 1941. He wrote that it was located "about one mile from Garlin, not far from Pleasant Grove and folk from there helped in the project."
Of the structure itself, Bro. Engle stated "The building had a full basement, a balcony, and Sunday School rooms. It has since been much improved."
He also commented that "The cost of the church initially was $2574.54, of which about 20% was donated by local people; the remainder by friends in the Church at large, especially Ohio."
(The above quotes come from "Served to Save in Kentucky and Elsewhere," Bro. Albert H. Engle, 1977, pp 51-52.)
The September 2nd, 1942 News, in an front article about the dedication service to be held on Sunday, September 6th, stated in part, "Bishop O.B. Ulery, of Springfield, Ohio, will officiate at the dedication. The program will start at 10 o'clock in the morning and last throughout the day. A cordial invitation is extended [to] the public to attend."
Unfortunately, the only later mention of the service found in the newspaper, a brief entry in the Pleasant Grove community letter a few days later, reported simply that "Quite a number from this place attended the dedication service at Beulah Chapel on Sunday..."
This story was posted on 2012-05-13 12:17:52
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
More articles from topic Jim: History:
JIM: A big coincidence - Weldon-Grenfell posters same day, different sources
JIM: The Lindsey Wilson Closing Exercises, 1912
JIM: Col. Wolford's busy day
JIM: An all day wedding at the Rexroats, Font Hill, Russell Co., KY
JIM: A little something to spice up Monday morning.
JIM: 100 years ago, April 17, 1912 with Spicy Bits
JIM: The Tandy Hotel, yet another name
JIM: Mary E. & Samuel H. Pelly anniversary
JIM: The Meadow Hill Inn opens, 1947
JIM: Tware SOAP Mrs. Coffey was making 60 gallons of
View even more articles in topic Jim: History
Bank of Columbia
The Best of
Local Stories of
The Greatest Generation
Order Book or e-Book
See who's celebrating
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Special Events List
Quick Links to Popular Features
Looking for a story or picture?
Try our Photo Archive or our Stories Archive for all the information that's appeared on ColumbiaMagazine.com.
Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.