Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
What's Going On
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
JIM: The Tandy Hotel, yet another name
The establishment was always known for setting a good table. Mr. Tandy also had a farm near Bliss, which he sold before removing to Bloomington, Indiana
Comments re article 46035. JIM New Adair Hotel went by many names in 79 year history
Seeing this served as a reminder that I recently came across yet another name for the hotel.
A brief article in the Nov. 21, 1917 News stated (in part) that "Mr. Geo. H. Kruse, State Hotel Inspector, was here last Wednesday. He went through the Tandy Hotel, and reported to this office that he found the rooms and bedding in first-class condition, superior to many country hotels. He also dined at the noon hour, stating that he was furnished with an elegant meal..."
At that time, the hotel was owned by Judge Junius Hancock. About a month later, Judge Hancock sold the business -- lock, stock, and room keys -- to C.G."Gus" Jeffries. In early January, 1918, the News, in reporting renovations Mr. Jeffries had made, noted that "Mr. Tandy, the former proprietor, has been sick for more than a year, and it was impossible for him to give the business the attention it deserved, but his hotel was above average, as his table was good as many country hotels."
Judge Hancock had leased the hotel to Mr. R.E. Tandy in August, 1915, the News commenting at the time, "Mr. Tandy has had some experience in the business and will no doubt conduct a popular house." By May, 1917, Mr. Tandy had been sick for several weeks -- sick enough to seek consultation with a specialist in Louisville. In late 1918, he sold his farm near Bliss, and he and his wife removed to Bloomington, Ind. Mr. Tandy departed this plane of existence in late December, 1941, a few weeks past his 86th birthday.
There were but few references to the Tandy Hotel in the News: one in December, 1915; two in October, 1917; and the article mentioned in the first paragraph, above, which appeared again in the November 28th edition.
Compiled by JIM
This story was posted on 2012-04-13 10:58:57
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
More articles from topic Jim: History:
JIM: Mary E. & Samuel H. Pelly anniversary
JIM: The Meadow Hill Inn opens, 1947
JIM: Tware SOAP Mrs. Coffey was making 60 gallons of
JIM: 95 years ago. Adair was abuzz with talk of War
JIM: The mysterious fem fatales of the Parlor Circle
JIM: A blue jeans frock coat: where is it now?
JIM: A Funeral in the Hills of Kentucky (1921) - An Ohion's Unkind Perspective
JIM: The folk artistry of Mr. B.F. Chewning
JIM: A nugget from the past
JIM: Basketball tournaments bring memory of great teams past
View even more articles in topic Jim: History
Bank of Columbia
The Best of
Local Stories of
The Greatest Generation
Order Book or e-Book
See who's celebrating
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Special Events List
Quick Links to Popular Features
Looking for a story or picture?
Try our Photo Archive or our Stories Archive for all the information that's appeared on ColumbiaMagazine.com.
Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.