Everything for Your Home's
Beauty, Comfort & Convenience 384-2123
704 Jamestown St, Columbia
Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
Real Estate & Auction Co.
Duo County Telecom
Now Available Through
Your Cable Service!
GUN & PAWN
What's Going On
Info about the
Janice Holt Giles
and Henry Giles Society
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
JIM: 100 years ago, February 7, 1912
Banking was in the news, a century ago as it is this week. The news then was a bank cum dry goods store, and some new officers at the Bank of Columbia. (Nothing to compare to the news this year of the New Floor in Robert's Bank, this week, about which CM received in a tip from David Wells at a recent hospital board meeting, and which our veteran reporter has seen with his own eyes, and stepped across to the teller's cage in sock feet rather than desecrate it with neoprene. If we don't get busloads of Canadian tourists coming to Columbia to see the New Floor in Robert's Bank, 114 Public Square, nothing will do it. We give up. They can just stay at the Mall of America for all we care.) But JIM Gem has so much more than mere doings of the banks. It was a time of great health care enterprises, a time when Doctors lived upstairs by or over their practices - as is surely scriptural in one of the Books of Hezekiah - and when in a single building one could get a prescription filled, buy spectacles, and make arrangements with a local undertaker - without ever moving the horse. This is a short, but classic JIM. Please click on the headline and read it all, to be just as enlightenment by JIM as we have been. -EW
Around the Square, February 7, 1912
This edition of the News noted that the space recently vacated by Citizens Bank would be converted for use as a dry goods store. Counters and shelving had been installed, and Mr. Henry Ingram, who was then conducting business in the wholesale building "off the square" expected to remove his stock there by week's end. The News allowed as to how it made a very attractive store room and that it would be a much more convenient location for Mr. Ingram. (The Citizens Bank opened in 1906 in the Page Building and closed its doors at the end of business, Friday, September 22nd, 1911.)
Speaking of financial institutions, the Bank of Columbia had recently elected these worthy gentleman as officers for 1912: W.W. Jones, Pres.; R.F. Paull, V-Pres.; Jas. Garnett, V-Pres.; John W. Flowers, Cashier; Jo S. Knifley, Asst. Cashier; and W.R. Squires, bookkeeper. Messrs. Jones, Paull, Garnett, and Flowers, along with T.P. Dunbar, comprised the Board of Directors.
Mr. Ingram wasn't the only one changing locations, as Dr. Woodruff J. Flowers, who for some time had occupied the front rooms of the News building, removed to upstairs rooms of the very recently completed Paull Drug Co. building. This move came just a few days after long-time Columbia undertaker J.F. Triplett had removed from the room above Geo. E. Wilson's store and (in the parlance of the day) "taken an apartment" in the new Paull building for his business.
Ray Flowers had just purchased the one-half interest of Mr. J.A. English in the grocery firm of Beck & English. The article stated that Mr. Flowers, "a popular young man," was already at his place of business and that he invited his many friends to come trade with him.News editor Charles S. Harris gave his personal assurance to those needing glasses that Dr. E.I. Alper, "a specialist, who has been with Mr. S.N. Hancock...knows his business and in a position to give the very best service." Mr. Harris based his recommendation on experience; Dr. Alper had fitted glasses for two of the Harris children. (A few weeks earlier, an ad for Mr. Hancock gave his location as the J.N. Page Drug Store building and his trade as "watch maker, jeweler [and] optician.")
And finally, a Lodge of Woodmen of the World had been organized the previous week with fourteen charter members. The article noted that there were now two Woodmen groups in town, the other, Modern Woodmen of America, having been organized about two years previously.
Compiled by the ever timely, always topical, JIM. -EW
This story was posted on 2012-02-07 09:08:22
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
To sponsor news and features on ColumbiaMagazine, please use our contact form.
More articles from topic Jim: History:
JIM: 100 years ago, February 6, 1912, Parlor Circle opened
JIM: Ben Carter, Overland to Santa Fe - Part 5 of 5
JIM: Ben Carter, Overland to Santa Fe - Part 4 of 5
JIM: Lips that touch liquor shall never touch mine
JIM: The founding the United Brethren Church near Ella, 1908
JIM: Ben Carter, Overland to Santa Fe - Part 3 of 5
JIM: The United Brethren on Jamestown Hill
JIM: Spreen's most amazing shot might have been from Elroy, KY
JIM: Wholesome advice, 1906 style
JIM: The fantastic LWC win; or Methodists 1, Baptists 0
View even more articles in topic Jim: History
Click for Info
Bank of Columbia
If You're Thinking of Selling,
Let Us Do the Yelling
Principal Broker & Auctioneer
Burton Real Estate
& Auction Service
Call Us For Appraisals
Click for Listings
On This Site
or Click Here
The Best of
Local Stories of
The Greatest Generation
Order Book or e-Book
See who's celebrating
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Special Events List
ColumbiaMagazine.com content is available as an RSS/XML feed for your RSS reader or other news aggregator.
Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.