ColumbiaMagazine.com
Printed from:

Welcome to Columbia Magazine  
 

























 
JIM: In 1899-1900, as now, Cane Valley was quite a town

Thriving commerce, an ample supplies of marriage eligibles, and beautiful women were evidence to a rank outsider that this Northern Adair County town was quite special

By JIM

Cane Valley, 1899: A report by an outsider of the business conditions therein; the great meeting; and the inhabitants delivered from the scourge of marble-playing.

(Transcribed from the March 8, 1899 News.)

A representative of the News spent a few hours in the thriving little city of Cane Valley one day last week and to tell the truth, which he never fails to do, business seemed to be rushing. There are four stores of general merchandise, and a drug-store in that city, and the trade seemed to be good. The merchants were busy wrapping goods and had but little time to spend in conversation with a man disposed to loiter...


Cane Valley is in one of the best sections of Adair County and her business men realize the worth of their surroundings. The poultry trade of that town is probably better than any other place in the county; at least, the aforesaid representative saw more fowls in a few hours than he had seen at other places in months.

There is a phonograph kept in the drug-store of O.R. Banks for the entertainment of the public. After listening at the many pieces it reproduced from various city bands, the News man thought, oh, he couldn't keep the thought from his mind, that some day, who knows how soon, that the Columbia band, our own boys, may be entertaining the people of other climes in a like manner.

Again, Cane Valley is a better place morally than it has hitherto been. The effects of the great meeting held there a short time ago are quite noticeable. Instead of discussing various frivolous topics or spending time in playing marbles and fudging, those who were not in the rush of business were discussing religious topics; in other words, were caviling over the teachings of the Bible. When we left some seemed to be of Paul and some of Apollos; some claimed to be sanctified. Others could not believe in it.

(The aforementioned "great meeting" was conducted by the Rev. J.C. Johnson & wife and a Rev. Kilgore & wife. It ran for over three weeks in the opening weeks of 1899 and according to one Cane Valley correspondent, yielded "Quite a number of conversions and several sanctified." Another correspondent noted there were 64 conversions but failed to enumerate the sanctifications.)

******************************

Cane Valley, 1900: A report by an inhabitant of matters diverse, including the worst.

(Transcribed from the Cane Valley newsletter in the February 28, 1900 Adair County News)

Speaking of a flourishing town, Cane Valley is second to none. We have three good schools, two good saw mills, one shingle machine, one roller miller, one toll gate, post office, five dry goods stores, one drug store, two blacksmith shops, one undertaker establishment, one photographer, two physicians, seventeen widows, five bachelors, and some of the prettiest little girls you ever saw.

We have shipped $5,000 worth of lumber, $3,000 worth of poultry, $2,000 worth of mules, $1,000 worth of each cattle and hogs in the past three months. We draw every three months from the government over $2,000. Property has increased in the past five years 50 per cent. We have sulphur, iron and fresh water in abundance. We don't have any whiskey, liars or laborers and we are all a jolly set. Now I will tell you the worst of all: she gives about 75 Republican majority.


This story was posted on 2011-12-09 09:17:51
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.


 

To sponsor news and features on ColumbiaMagazine, please use our contact form.

 

























 
 
Quick Links to Popular Features


 

ColumbiaMagazine.com content is available as an RSS/XML feed for your RSS reader or other news aggregator.
Use the following link: http://www.columbiamagazine.com/columbiamagazinerss.php.

Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.
Phone: 270-250-2730 Fax: 270-751-0401


Please use our contact page, or send questions about technical issues with this site to webmaster@columbiamagazine.com. All logos and trademarks used on this site are property of their respective owners. All comments remain the property and responsibility of their posters, all articles and photos remain the property of their creators, and all the rest is copyright 1995-Present by Columbia! Magazine and D'Zine, Ltd. Privacy policy: use of this site requires no sharing of information. Voluntarily shared information may be published and made available to the public on this site and/or stored electronically. Anonymous submissions will be subject to additional verification. Cookies are not required to use our site. However, if you have cookies enabled in your web browser, some of our advertisers may use cookies for interest-based advertising across multiple domains. For more information about third-party advertising, visit the NAI web privacy site.