Printed from:

Welcome to Columbia Magazine  

Columbia's White Castle: Between the Royal Cafe, The Cardinal Inn

The restaurant name was changed, with a huge $5 prize for the best new name - the Cardinal Inn - after Columbia's White Castle local owners found out they had inadvertently chosen the name of a chain of eating places.

By "Jim"BR>
Seventy years ago, Columbia had a White Castle, if ever so fleetingly.In July, 1941, the News reported that "Mr. and Mrs. Dudley Bishopp...have bought the Royal Cafe from Messrs. H.B. Taylor and James Moss, and plan to return to Columbia to make their home.

They will arrive here next week and take over the management of the business August 1. Mr. and Mrs. Bishopp will make their home with her mother, Mrs. J.C. Strange. The Royal Cafe was the first confectionery ever started in Columbia. It has always been popular with young and old alike and is known for its good food and splendid service..."

The name change wasn't announced per se but in late August came the report that "The White Castle Inn...formerly known as the Royal cafe, is undergoing extensive improvements. It has been closed for three days while much new equipment is being installed... They expect to be open for business again tomorrow."

That name, however, was short-lived, as the October 22nd edition noted that "Mr. and Mrs. D.S. Bishopp, who bought the Royal Cafe several months ago and named it the White Castle Inn, have changed the name to The Cardinal Inn. It was necessary to make the change because they had inadvertently chosen the name of a chain of eating places. A prize of a $5 merchandise coupon was offered the person submitting the best name and Mrs. O.E. Huddle was the winner...A total of 260 names were offered. The judges were Mesdames Edwin Hutchison, Louis Merkley, Dr. H.C. Randall and Garnett Young."

(In 1941, the Royal Cafe was located on the corner of Greensburg Street and the Square. It had its beginning in the lsummer of 1916 when Columbia businessman Lawrence Marvin (L.M.) Young put in "a first-class soda fountain and an ice cream the same building that Mr. J.F. Patteson conducts a general store." An ad in the August 6, 1916 News read thus: "For Cool Drinks go to L.M. Young's Cafe. Electric Fans Running Day and Night. Quick service to waiting crowds. While at the fair visit Young's stand for Orange Ade and Ice Cream." ) Compiled by "Jim"

This story was posted on 2011-08-28 15:21:23
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.

(AD) - Many Reunion organizing efforts are also advertised in our REUNIONS category in our CM Classifeds. These are posted at a very low cost. See RATES & TERMS

To sponsor news and features on ColumbiaMagazine, please use our contact form.


Quick Links to Popular Features content is available as an RSS/XML feed for your RSS reader or other news aggregator.
Use the following link:

Contact us: Columbia Magazine and are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.
Phone: 270-250-2730 Fax: 270-751-0401

Please use our contact page, or send questions about technical issues with this site to All logos and trademarks used on this site are property of their respective owners. All comments remain the property and responsibility of their posters, all articles and photos remain the property of their creators, and all the rest is copyright 1995-Present by Columbia! Magazine and D'Zine, Ltd. Privacy policy: use of this site requires no sharing of information. Voluntarily shared information may be published and made available to the public on this site and/or stored electronically. Anonymous submissions will be subject to additional verification. Cookies are not required to use our site. However, if you have cookies enabled in your web browser, some of our advertisers may use cookies for interest-based advertising across multiple domains. For more information about third-party advertising, visit the NAI web privacy site.