Everything for Your Home's
Beauty, Comfort & Convenience
704 Jamestown St, Columbia
Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Duo County Telecom
Now Available Through
Your Cable Service!
What's Going On
see ColumbiaMagazine'sEvents List
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Kentucky Color: Amazing Water
Water is so common, especially in lush South Central Kentucky, that many take it for granted, many overlook its many unique properties. But one man rarely looks at local phenomena without noticing special features, as Billy Joe Fudge has done in the essay today
Click on headline for complete essay + photo(s)
By Billy Joe Fudge, Retired Forester
Kentucky Division of Forestry
Science tells us that life as we know it is dependent upon water, yet we fail to pay sufficient respect to the single most important substance on earth.
Not only are we severely lacking in homage, most of us fail to understand the unique qualities of water.
The unique qualities of water that make physical life possible take on a special, spiritual significance given that Jesus called Himself, Living Water. -Billy Joe Fudge
- Water is the only substance on earth that has been found to naturally exist in all three states of matter: liquid, solid, and gaseous.
- Water is the only substance that is lighter as a solid than as a liquid, therefore ice floats on water.
- Water in its natural liquid form is, according to many sources, heavier at 34 degrees than at any other temperature. Therefore when the surface temperature reaches 34 that 34 degree water sinks until it is warmed to 35 degrees. The surface water during cold weather continues this process until there is no warmer water to raise the temperature of the sinking water to 35 degrees. When this happens, given that the air temperature continues below freezing the surface water temperature will fall to 33 and then turn to ice at 32 degrees. This is why our lakes are said to "turn over" each winter because in reality they do.
- Water in its purest form is odorless, tasteless and almost colorless. Some sources say that water has a slight blue color in large amounts but in small amounts that blue color is imperceptible.
- Water will dissolve more substances than any other liquid.
- Water molecules have a positive charge on one side and a negative charge on the other. Therefore each molecule will adhere to another. This is why water forms into droplets on your windshield rather than spreading out into a solid sheet of moisture.
- Water at high altitudes will boil at a temperature as much as 60 degrees less than the 212 degree sea level boiling point.
- Water at great pressure deep within the ocean will remain liquid at many hundreds of degrees.
The news earlier Kentucky Color: Ice Trees
This story was posted on 2011-01-15 04:48:45
this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story?
Use our contact form
and let us know.
To sponsor news and features on ColumbiaMagazine, please use our contact form.
Kentucky Color: Amazing water in all three of its states|
2011-01-15 . Bull Run Creek, along Bull Run RD/KY 1323, Columbia, KY (MAP of AREA).
Photo by Billy Joe Fudge
Billy Joe Fudge writes, "Taken from the shoulder of Bull Run Road at Bovine Lane, looking up Bull Run Creek. The photo is not bad photography but shows the liquid (running water), solid(ice), and gaseous (my breath in front of the lens) forms of water, the only substance on earth naturally found in all three states of matter."
Read More... | Comments? | Click here to share, print, or bookmark this photo.