Printed from:

Welcome to Columbia Magazine  

Poison Prevention at Home is theme of Kelli Bonifer's Extension News

National Poison Prevention Week is observed annually during the third week of March. Understanding the importance of poison prevention can be a case of life or death for you or one of your family members.

A poison is any substance that can cause harm or unintended symptoms. Poisons come in four common forms including: Solids such as soap, medicine, and plants; Liquids including bleach, detergent, perfume, and lighter fluid; Sprays such as insect spray, cooking spray, and paint; and Gases that include carbon monoxide, exhaust fumes, cigarette smoke, kerosene or oil fumes from heating sources.

UK Cooperative Extension Health Specialist and Registered Nurse Peggy Riley, confirmed, The top ten categories of poisons that most often involve poisoning accidents in children under the age of six are: personal care products (shampoos, deodorants), household cleaning products, cough/cold medicines, pain relievers (aspirin), plants and mushrooms, foreign bodies (batteries, coins and sharp objects), topical ointments/creams, insecticides and rat poisons, antimicrobials (antibiotics), and hydrocarbons (gasoline, kerosene).

Adair County Extension Agent Kelli Bonifer states, The most important thing we can do to prevent accidental poisoning in our home is become educated about what poisons are and how to prevent accidental poisoning.

Two ways to educate yourself include learning the recommendations provided on the Home Safety Checklist and knowing what to do if you or your child accidentally ingests a poison. Plan to work with your childs school and other community members to educate other parents about poison safety during the 2006 National Poison Prevention Week, recommended Kelli Bonifer.

The Home Safety Checklist is available at the Adair County Cooperative Extension Service; along with important steps to follow if an accidental poisoning occurs in your home. Nurse Riley instructed, If an accidental poisoning occurs and the victim has collapsed, is having seizures, or is unconscious, Call 9-1-1 immediately! Otherwise, you should call the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 for instructions.

This story was posted on 2006-03-21 15:37:42
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.

To sponsor news and features on ColumbiaMagazine, please use our contact form.


Quick Links to Popular Features content is available as an RSS/XML feed for your RSS reader or other news aggregator.
Use the following link:

Contact us: Columbia Magazine and are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.
Phone: 270-250-2730 Fax: 270-751-0401

Please use our contact page, or send questions about technical issues with this site to All logos and trademarks used on this site are property of their respective owners. All comments remain the property and responsibility of their posters, all articles and photos remain the property of their creators, and all the rest is copyright 1995-Present by Columbia! Magazine and D'Zine, Ltd. Privacy policy: use of this site requires no sharing of information. Voluntarily shared information may be published and made available to the public on this site and/or stored electronically. Anonymous submissions will be subject to additional verification. Cookies are not required to use our site. However, if you have cookies enabled in your web browser, some of our advertisers may use cookies for interest-based advertising across multiple domains. For more information about third-party advertising, visit the NAI web privacy site.