ColumbiaMagazine.com
Printed from:

Welcome to Columbia Magazine  
 
































 
Some more information about The Columbia Bakery

See also: History shared about Moore's Pool Room building | Photo: ARPA funds at work in the City of Columbia

By JIM

At the end of October 1921, the Adair County News reported that "Wilson & Hood have purchased the Frank Shepherd stock of goods, located in the North corner of the square. Wilson & Hood will remove the Shepherd stock to the Butler [i.e., west] corner where they conduct a general store."

A year and a half later (May 1923) came word that "Mr. Albin Murray and Mr. Geo. O. Barnes have purchased the Columbia Bakery and will continue the business at the same place. The bakery will be cut off from Wilson's store by a petition (sic). Mr. Barnes is an experienced baker."


Another year and a half passed, and in mid-November 1924, a front page article in the paper reported that ----- Hood (given name not stated) had sold to Geo. R. Redmon his half interest in the Wilson & Hood general store in the west corner of the square and noted, "This sale does not include the bakery."

The name "Columbia Bakery" disappeared in the summer of 1929 when Sharp and Edwards "of Louisville" bought the operation.

(The bakery had been in operation for some years -- and had gone through a dizzying array of owners/managers --prior to the above announcements but these earlier mentions didn't specify a location.)

The Columbia Bakery's claim to fame, at least for a while, was Blue Ribbon Bakery bread. The attached clip appeared on the front page of the November 11, 1924 Adair County News.


This story was posted on 2022-09-14 15:08:41
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.



Blue Ribbon Bakery Bread has many dealers, 1924 ACN



1924-11-11 - Columbia, KY - Photo courtesy JIM. The Columbia Bakery's claim to fame, at least for a while, was Blue Ribbon Bakery bread. This clipping appeared on the front page of the November 11, 1924 Adair County News. It read:

Blue Ribbon Bakery Bread can be purchased at the following stores, and it is guaranteed by all.
  • Columbla, Mr. Lillie Smith, C. W. Burton, Squires Bros, J. B. Watson, McLean Bros, Joha Dunbar, Mrs Clara Kerr.
  • Garlin, Misses Smith & Smith
  • Purdy, W. E Foster.
  • Gradyville, Wilmore & Moss., Roy, G. C. Reece.
  • Montpelier, J. C. Reece & Son.
  • Jamestown, J. M. Brown, Walter Acree.
  • Burkesville, Mulliniz & Son.

Read More... | Comments? | Click here to share, print, or bookmark this photo.



 





























 
 
Quick Links to Popular Features


Looking for a story or picture?
Try our Photo Archive or our Stories Archive for all the information that's appeared on ColumbiaMagazine.com.

 

Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.
Phone: 270.403.0017


Please use our contact page, or send questions about technical issues with this site to webmaster@columbiamagazine.com. All logos and trademarks used on this site are property of their respective owners. All comments remain the property and responsibility of their posters, all articles and photos remain the property of their creators, and all the rest is copyright 1995-Present by Columbia! Magazine and D'Zine, Ltd. Privacy policy: use of this site requires no sharing of information. Voluntarily shared information may be published and made available to the public on this site and/or stored electronically. Anonymous submissions will be subject to additional verification. Cookies are not required to use our site. However, if you have cookies enabled in your web browser, some of our advertisers may use cookies for interest-based advertising across multiple domains. For more information about third-party advertising, visit the NAI web privacy site.