Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
GUN & PAWN
What's Going On
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
A few notes about Columbia's old jail building
When Mr. T.F. "Tim" Collins died in the late spring of 1917, his will contained simple provisions, to-wit: modest cash amounts to his and Mrs. Collins' several children and $50 to another family member. The balance of his estate, including the residence, went to his wife, the former Miss Elizabeth Aaron, and upon her passing, the estate residue was to be equally divided among their children.
Mrs. Collins died almost exactly six years later, in June 1923. Come December that year, notice of a Master Commissioner's sale began appearing in the News, the last such in the January 1, 1924 edition.
The sale was based on judgment in a lawsuit brought in the Adair Circuit Court styled as Carry Turner, & L.V. Turner, plaintiffs, v. W.G. Cundiff, etc., defendants.
It's important to note that Carry & L.V. Turner were Tim & Elizabeth Collins' daughter and son-in-law, and that W.G. Cundiff was another son-in-law, husband of their daughter Meda. Quite possibly, this was a "friendly" lawsuit, filed to facilitate the sale of a property held by diverse parties, all with an undivided interest in it.
The sale notice stated this property was on Main (now Greensburg) Street and was "known as the old Jail building and lot." The ad also specified the sale excluded "that portion of it [the original lot]. . . upon which the present Jail now stands." (The old jail building, the one offered for sale, was built in the 1850s; the "present jail" saw completion in the mid-1890s. The two structures stood on different parts of the same lot.)
On sale day -- Monday, January 7, 1924 -- Bess Coffey Patteson cast the high bid of four thousand dollars and pocket change, and the News reported some days later that Grissom & Patteson would use the building for their undertaking business. The firm was located there when the News mentioned in the spring of 1928 that Mrs. Patteson's new garage building, "between the county jail and Grissom & Patteson's Undertaking establishment," was well under construction. (The first occupant of the new garage building was Columbia Motor Company, and it was from that location businessman Lewis Coffey fell victim to kidnappers in 1934.)
For an in-depth history of the old jails, with photos, see the 2012 article:
MIKE WATSON: A brief history of two Adair County jails
Note: The story of the 1934 abduction of Lewis Coffey (and subsequent events) was posted early in 2018 in three parts:
This story was posted on 2019-02-06 06:00:38
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
More articles from topic Jim: History:
A brief history of the Willock Building
Mid-Jan 1919: Veterans returning home
January 1943: Victory tax; society news; around the square; a maimed merchant
Early January 1924: Odds & ends from 95 years ago
90 years ago: Christmas trees, clearance sales, and other topics
1918: the year Christmas stood still
Christmas draws near, December 1933
Reminisces of an October day: a visit out Bottom Road
The days before the war, when I was a happy child
80 years ago: basketball, electricity, water tower, and an amazing contest
View even more articles in topic Jim: History
Bank of Columbia
The Best of
Local Stories of
The Greatest Generation
Order Book or e-Book
See who's celebrating
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Special Events List
Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.