Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
GUN & PAWN
What's Going On
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
A brief history of the Willock Building
See also, the 2-part Buchanan-Lyon comes to Columbia, 1917-1918
The Willock Building: "One of the most attractive halls in the state."
The first mention found in the News of Campbellsville's Willock building appeared in late December 1908. At the time, said the paper, a newly consolidated company would occupy "the entire lower floor of the Jo Willock four (sic) story brick building now about completed." The two companies, the T.W. Buchanan Hardware Company, and the Lyon Buggy Company and Undertakers and Embalmers, henceforth would conduct both retail and wholesale trade under a unified (and considerably shorter) name, the Buchanan Lyon Co.
Early March 1909 found the paper announcing Buchanan-Lyon had just moved to their new digs, "the handsome new three story pressed brick building, conceded by all to be the most modern up-to-date and best equipped building for the purpose in Central Ky."
A six-day grand opening bash for Buchanan Lyon, originally planned for mid-March, was pushed back to early April. A News man visited Campbellsville to attend the big opening and had this to say about the wondrous new edifice:
"One of the most conspicuous buildings of the town is the brick block recently erected by Mr. Jo Willock, on the main business street. It is three full stories, the first occupied by the Buchanan Lyon Co., the second for theatrical and skating rink purposes, while the third is dedicated to Masonry and is one of the most attractive halls in the state."When Mr. Willock died in 1933, his obituary noted that "For a number of years, he operated the Willock Opera House, which was the first theatre in this city, located on the second floor of the Willock building..."
This story was posted on 2019-01-23 06:47:50
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
More articles from topic Jim: History:
Mid-Jan 1919: Veterans returning home
January 1943: Victory tax; society news; around the square; a maimed merchant
Early January 1924: Odds & ends from 95 years ago
90 years ago: Christmas trees, clearance sales, and other topics
1918: the year Christmas stood still
Christmas draws near, December 1933
Reminisces of an October day: a visit out Bottom Road
The days before the war, when I was a happy child
80 years ago: basketball, electricity, water tower, and an amazing contest
Ninety years ago: a Columbia church building goes up in flames
View even more articles in topic Jim: History
Bank of Columbia
The Best of
Local Stories of
The Greatest Generation
Order Book or e-Book
See who's celebrating
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Special Events List
Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.