Everything for Your Home's
Beauty, Comfort & Convenience 384-2123
704 Jamestown St, Columbia
Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
Real Estate & Auction Co.
Duo County Telecom
Now Available Through
Your Cable Service!
GUN & PAWN
What's Going On
Info about the
Janice Holt Giles
and Henry Giles Society
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Adair County History Trivia
This article first appeared in issue 7, and was written by Vonnie Kolbenschlag.
Provided by Vonnie Kolbenschlag from the Trabue Russell House
1. The shape of our Public square is
a. round b. square c. rectangular d. triangular
2. The town founders named the alleys in the town Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Monroe, Madison, and...
a. Bush b. Pinckney c. Guardian d. Reed
3. Early settlers were pleased to find "mast" available. Mast was used to
a. build cabins b. feed animals c. make moonshine
d. fertilize gardens
4. O'Hara wrote Bivouac of the Dead which is on the gate of Arlington National Cemetery, while staying in Columbia in a hotel on the Square. He wrote this after the
a. Revolutionary War b. War of 1812 c. Mexican War
d. Civil War
5. The VFW in Columbia was established _____ years ago.
a. 100 b. 75 c. 50 d. 25
6. Columbia was founded in
a. 1776 b. 1792 c. 1801 d. 1802
7. Col. William Casey wanted to be buried
a. with his favorite mule b. sitting up
c. feet pointing West d. with full military honors
8. For many years a ______ sat on the site where the Courthouse Annex sits.
a. hotel b. statue of Trabue c. one room school
d. city park
9. The oldest church building in Columbia is
a. Columbia Baptist b. United Methodist c. Union-Presbyterian
d. First Baptist
10. Adair County Fair was begun in a. 1860 b. 1884 c. 1900 d. 1950
11. The founders of Columbia were (check three names)
James Walker, William Caldwell, Creed Haskins, John Conover,
Col. Casey, William Montgomery, Simon Hancock, Dan Trabue, Sam Young
IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING OF ADAIR COUNTY HISTORIC INTEREST,
PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING IT TO THE TRABUE RUSSELL HOUSE. GIFTS ARE TAX DEDUCTIBLE.
This story was posted on 1996-09-15 12:01:01
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
To sponsor news and features on ColumbiaMagazine, please use our contact form.