Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
GUN & PAWN
What's Going On
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
95 years ago: Odds & ends from early July 1923
Jim recalls a year with so many events which fit into the big topics of today, with seminal developments of what are the main conversation at this, occasioned by the grand re-opening of Nanwood Market on Friday, by the progressive preservation revival movement pervading Columbia, this summer, and details more than marginally touching on recollections attending Blackie Nixon & Bonnie Willis Smith's approaching ACHS Class of 1958 reunion events.
Click on headline for complete story
By the early summer of 1923, the Great War had been over almost five years, women in the United States had full suffrage, Prohibition and speakeasies uneasily co-existed, increased wages were increasingly giving rise to a consumer society, and America roared.
In Adair County, however, the ebb and flow of life continued at its accustomed pace, punctuated by the occasional scofflaw, blackguard, gun toter, or moonshiner.
Adair County celebrated the 4th of July in style in 1923
In early July of that year, with the late war still on the minds of many and dozens of veterans in residence, Adair celebrated the 4th in style with various gatherings and presentations across the shire, perhaps most notably in Columbia, where "the Fair Grounds were full of patriotic citizens" assembled for a picnic, horse (and mule) races, and of course, the music provided by the Liberty brass band, that group delightfully discoursing sweet melodies throughout the day.
Host of party in the woods, with 'Band of Indians' drew large crowd
Elsewhere on that long ago 4th, "a large crowd gathered" in B.G. Redman's woodland and the affair was, of course, enjoyed by all present. "We have a band of Indians [likely a reference to Romani] in the County and they entertained at the Redman place." ("B.G. Redman," one of three Republican candidates for the state legislature in the upcoming primary, possibly referred to Beauregard Redmon, who resided near Garlin. In the August primary in Adair County, H.T. Baker outpolled him 649-140.) Crowed the News in aggregate about the meetings across the county, "Moonshine was not in evidence."
Chatauqua here in full force Friday, July 6th & media for Edison machines arrived
The Chautauqua arrived in full force on Friday, July 6th and by the time the News went to press the next week, "each day's program has been splendid. . ." Schools were set to open on the 16th and Columbia merchant H. (Herb) Taylor announced to the owners of Edison Machines that he had just received into stock no fewer than one thousand new phonograph records, available at thirty-five cents each. The same edition of the paper also carried an ad for Mr. Taylor's line of gents' clothing and another for his shoe repair service.
First National Bank was undergoing complete renovation
Elsewhere on the Square, the First National Bank, perhaps experiencing a bit of envy over the Bank of Columbia's recently constructed building, was in the early throes of complete renovation, inside and out. The financial institution soon moved its operation to quarters in the News building to afford contractors maximum accessibility and returned to its updated digs in September.
Dillon Drug Co., succeeded Russell & Taylor in the pharmacy business
The Dillon Drug Co., advertised in the accompanying image from the July 23, 1923 paper, had succeeded the young firm of Russell & Taylor (Dr. C.M. Russell & Herb Taylor) not quite a year earlier. Mr. G.W. Dillon, the owner, was a registered pharmacist, as was his son, Mr. Rich Dillon. In the spring of 1930, the former gentleman's widow sold the enterprise to Dr. Thomas C. Brown, who moved from Campbellsville to Columbia to run the operation. (In the manner of the day, Mr. Brown, a pharmacist, was accorded the honorific "Dr.")
This story was posted on 2018-07-08 05:36:16
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
More articles from topic Jim: History:
JIM: 70 years ago - 1st sermon in Russell Heights Baptist Chapel
JIM: Sixty years ago - Columbia, a happening place
JIM: One hundred years ago, mid-June, 1918
JIM sends: A Tribute to Russell Co., KY, Mother, by Lilburn Phelps
JIM: 80 years ago, May 4, 1938, in Adair & surrounding area
JIM: The Hoodoo, played to packed house 28 Apr 1933
JIM: The 1934 abduction of Lewis Coffey (and subsequent events) - II
JIM, History: More on Columbia's Simon Spring
The 1934 abduction of Lewis Coffey (and subsequent events)
JIM: J.C. Draper, at 89, returned from West to visit Coffey Cave
View even more articles in topic Jim: History
Bank of Columbia
The Best of
Local Stories of
The Greatest Generation
Order Book or e-Book
See who's celebrating
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Special Events List
Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.