Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
GUN & PAWN
What's Going On
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
JIM: 70 years ago - 1st sermon in Russell Heights Baptist Chapel
"Rev. Chester Raymond Young pastored, Mr. Lewis Coffey served as Sunday School superintendent, and Mrs A.P. White, Mrs. Henry Ingram, Mrs. Chester R. Young, Mrs. Mary Biggs, and Mr. Coffey taught the classes." - Adair County News, July 7, 2018
Click on headline for story with two photo(s), then and now.
Seventy years ago this week, Sunday, July 4th, 1948, Rev. W.B. Moody, pastor of the Columbia Baptist Church, brought forth the first sermon in the just-completed Russell Heights Baptist Chapel.
Heretofore, the congregants of this Mission, Columbia's sixth house of worship, founded several earlier by the Columbia Baptist Church, had met in a converted dwelling house. Work had started on the new edifice the previous fall under the supervision of Mr. Mont Willis.
Said the News of the structure,
"Constructed of concrete blocks, the chapel building has an auditorium on the ground floor and Sunday School rooms and a furnace in the basement. A belfry tops the roof and houses a bell which came as a gift to the Mission from the farm of Hon. Ben Johnson, of Bardstown, Ky."
"Rev. Chester Raymond Young pastored, Mr. Lewis Coffey served as Sunday School superintendent, and Mrs A.P. White, Mrs. Henry Ingram, Mrs. Chester R. Young, Mrs. Mary Biggs, and Mr. Coffey taught the classes." At the time, the Mission had Sunday afternoon services and Thursday night prayer meetings.
An accompanying image appeared top center on page 1 of the July 7, 1948 edition of Adair County News.
This story was posted on 2018-07-01 02:59:12
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
More articles from topic Jim: History:
JIM: Sixty years ago - Columbia, a happening place
JIM: One hundred years ago, mid-June, 1918
JIM sends: A Tribute to Russell Co., KY, Mother, by Lilburn Phelps
JIM: 80 years ago, May 4, 1938, in Adair & surrounding area
JIM: The Hoodoo, played to packed house 28 Apr 1933
JIM: The 1934 abduction of Lewis Coffey (and subsequent events) - II
JIM, History: More on Columbia's Simon Spring
The 1934 abduction of Lewis Coffey (and subsequent events)
JIM: J.C. Draper, at 89, returned from West to visit Coffey Cave
JIM: Jones Building timeline - Jun 1944-Oct 1945
View even more articles in topic Jim: History
Bank of Columbia
The Best of
Local Stories of
The Greatest Generation
Order Book or e-Book
See who's celebrating
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Special Events List
Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.