Everything for Your Home's
Beauty, Comfort & Convenience 384-2123
704 Jamestown St, Columbia
Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Columbia Walmart Supercenter
Open 24 Hours
Click here for information
Real Estate & Auction Co.
Duo County Telecom
Now Available Through
Your Cable Service!
GUN & PAWN
What's Going On
Info about the
Janice Holt Giles
and Henry Giles Society
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Anon sends AC Fair Chronology requested by Howard Keltner
Ask, and ye shall receive> Howard Keltner, while watching the successful loading of the VFW Monument, if anyone had a chronology of when things happened at the old fairgrounds. Many of the answers below are to questions he asked. But on the references to the first reference to the VFW Post, Mr. Keltner has information he remembers of the VFW Hall which predates the one at 413 Fairground Street . . . it was on property owned by . ... Click on headline for that information, and maybe another picture or two, today.
1946: VFW Post 6097 acquired 80% ownership of Memorial Park, month/day not known.
1947: VFW Post 6097 acquired complete control of Memorial Park with purchase (from Dr. O.P. Miller) of the remaining 20% of outstanding stock, Saturday, May 10.<
1947: Memorial installed Tuesday, August 12, and dedicated Armistice Day, November 11.
1949: the earliest specific reference to a Post Hall appeared in the November 2, 1949 edition, in a brief announcement about another group meeting "at 2:00 o'clock Sunday [November 6th] at the *V. F. W. Hall." (Prior to that there were occasional mentions of the V.F.W. members meeting in the court house and above the Lerman Bros. store in the Russell Building.) HOWEVER, it isn't clear from scant newspaper references if the "V.F.W. Hall" heretofore mentioned were a rented building, a structure put up by the group specifically as a Post Hall, or otherwise, as I found no mention in the News, through 1964, of the construction or dedication of such a building.
1952: Ground for swimming pools broken Saturday, March 28.
1953: The pool opened Friday, June 10, almost a year after the originally projected opening date of early July 1952.
(One of the first events held there was a Bathing Beauty contest, open to all unmarried female Adair County residents aged 16 to 25.) - Anon
* "V.F.W. Hall" - Howard Keltner remembers that, prior to the VFW Hall at 413 Fairground Street, the post met in a building owned by Mr. Elmer Bryant, next to his home. It was on the site where the Adair County Extension Office is today, at 409 Fairground Street. - EW
This story was posted on 2017-08-05 07:57:32
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
To sponsor news and features on ColumbiaMagazine, please use our contact form.
More articles from topic News:
Little gnome house is newest feature in Ruby Smith's garden
Kentucky Color - More Adair County Bibles
Pickett's Chapel Vacation Bible School, Sundays, Aug 2017
Link: Gov. Bevin wins appeal over tax value of Anchorage home
Cumberland Co., KY collision takes life of motorcyclist
Columbia City Council Agenda - Mon 7 Aug 2017
Adair Co. Fiscal Court regular meeting, 08 Aug 2017 - AGENDA
Adair County Fair days: Grover, Dallas Pickett & the Monkey Man
Carter White on WLEX-Tv 18 - Link to story with video
Album - Moving the Monument to the new VFW headquarters
View even more articles in topic News
Click for Info
Bank of Columbia
Let Us Do the Yelling
Principal Broker & Auctioneer
Burton Real Estate
& Auction Service
Call Us For Appraisals
Click for Listings
On This Site
or Click Here
Columbia in the Movies
from the archives of
Click for Stories
The Best of
Local Stories of
The Greatest Generation
Order Book or e-Book
See who's celebrating
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Special Events List
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...