ColumbiaMagazine.com
Printed from:

Welcome to Columbia Magazine  
 
























 
Camp Boyle was located on the outskirts of Columbia

Compiled and edited by Mike Watson
Adair County Historian

Camp Boyle was named for Brigadier General Jeremiah T. Boyle, who, in January 1862 was commander of the 11th Brigade of the Department of the Ohio. Sometimes called Camp Jerry Boyle, the camp was located on the outskirts of Columbia, Adair County, Kentucky, across Russell Creek, the road that lead toward Campbellsville, eventually crossing the Green River at Tebb's Bend. Today, the bulk of the camp lies to the right of highway 55 North as one leaves Columbia. It is not now known just how large the camp was, nor how many acres along Russell Creek were encompassed by the ever expanding and contracting camp, but it ran well up the creek, perhaps as much as a mile.


\ In November 1861 the following were stationed around Columbia: 5th Kentucky Cavalry, 9th Kentucky Infantry, 19th Ohio Infantry, and 59th Ohio Infantry, as well as what was the 3rd Kentucky Infantry, whose designation had been changed in early December 1861--a decision that much incensed Col. Thomas E. Bramlette, Regimental commander.

Colonel Bramlette resided in Columbia at the time, and as such, and by right of seniority, was in command of the area. However, command was transferred to General Boyle when he set up headquarters in Adair County, thus a new official name of the camp, replacing what had been called Camp Gilbert. The 9th Kentucky Infantry was organized in the fall of 1861, mustered into service 26 November 1861 at Camp Boyle, commanded by Col. Benjamin C. Grider. Many of the men who served in the 9th Kentucky were from Adair and surrounding counties. A short history of this regiment will follow.

The 13th Kentucky Cavalry was organized at Camp Boyle in the fall of 1863 under Colonel James. W. Weatherford, of Casey County, and mustered into service on 23 December 1863 at Columbia. Many of the men who served in the 13th Kentucky Cavalry were from Adair and surrounding counties. A short history of this regiment will follow.

One company of the 3rd Kentucky Infantry was organized at Camp Boyle on 1 January 1862, the other companies having been organized at Camp Dick Robinson under Colonel Bramlette the previous October, mustered into service 8 October 1861.

Camp Boyle was not the only encampment around Columbia. There were soldiers from several states encamped in a semi-circle around the town for much of the period from early 1862 through near the end of the conflict.

A Camp Boyle is mentioned in Cincinnati newspapers in October and November of 1861 as being near Warsaw, Kentucky, south of Cincinnati. Camp Gilbert was occasionally referred to as Camp Reid in 1862. Sources Adjutant General's Reports for the Civil War, State of Kentucky.

Gorin, Betty J. (2006). Morgan is Coming! Confederate Raiders in the Heartland of Kentucky. Harmony House Publishers, Prospect, KY.

Tapp, Hambleton, and James C. Klotter, eds. (1980). The Union, The Civil War and John W. Tuttle: A Kentucky Captain's Account. The Kentucky Historical Society, Frankfort, KY.

Watson, Michael C. (2001). An Adair County, Kentucky History, Volume 1.> Watson Publications, Columbia, KY.



This story was posted on 2017-05-10 12:51:34
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.


 

(AD) - Many Reunion organizing efforts are also advertised in our REUNIONS category in our CM Classifeds. These are posted at a very low cost. See RATES & TERMS

To sponsor news and features on ColumbiaMagazine, please use our contact form.

 

























 
 
Quick Links to Popular Features


 

ColumbiaMagazine.com content is available as an RSS/XML feed for your RSS reader or other news aggregator.
Use the following link: http://www.columbiamagazine.com/columbiamagazinerss.php.

Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.
Phone: 270-250-2730 Fax: 270-751-0401


Please use our contact page, or send questions about technical issues with this site to webmaster@columbiamagazine.com. All logos and trademarks used on this site are property of their respective owners. All comments remain the property and responsibility of their posters, all articles and photos remain the property of their creators, and all the rest is copyright 1995-Present by Columbia! Magazine and D'Zine, Ltd. Privacy policy: use of this site requires no sharing of information. Voluntarily shared information may be published and made available to the public on this site and/or stored electronically. Anonymous submissions will be subject to additional verification. Cookies are not required to use our site. However, if you have cookies enabled in your web browser, some of our advertisers may use cookies for interest-based advertising across multiple domains. For more information about third-party advertising, visit the NAI web privacy site.