Everything for Your Home's
Beauty, Comfort & Convenience 384-2123
704 Jamestown St, Columbia
Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
Real Estate & Auction Co.
Duo County Telecom
Now Available Through
Your Cable Service!
GUN & PAWN
What's Going On
Info about the
Janice Holt Giles
and Henry Giles Society
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
Governor reaffirms commitment to infrastructure
Flex Funds, 80/20 Bridge Replacement programs available to local governments in FY 2017
By Ryan Watts
Frankfort, KY - Governor Matt Bevin today announced that two essential road aid programs - both housed in the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet's (KYTC) Department of Rural and Municipal Aid - will continue to operate in Fiscal Year 2017.
The Flex Funds and 80/20 Bridge Replacement programs will be available to local officials over the next fiscal year. These programs are designed to give local governments the flexibility to use state funds for county road projects.
"Providing a safe and reliable transportation network is a top priority of our administration. However, as costs and demands rise, local governments are struggling with the increased financial burden," said Gov. Bevin. "Having control of these crucial funds will help local communities across the Commonwealth preserve, maintain and repair Kentucky's aging infrastructure."
The news comes as a relief to local officials who are currently addressing costly road maintenance issues while operating on limited budgets. Some of those issues include snow and ice removal, pothole patching, bridge repair and roadway resurfacing.
Started in 2009, the Flex Funds program authorized local governments to repair county roads by using a portion of the motor fuels tax receipts allocated to the Rural Secondary Program. Flex funds are not additional revenue, but they give local governments the flexibility to shift more state dollars to fund county and city road projects. Before the Flex Funds program was initiated, local governments could only use traditional revenue sharing funds such as county road and municipal road aid for those projects.
In order to spend flex funds, the Department of Rural and Municipal Aid must approve a county's list of recommended projects. KYTC will then disburse funding once numerous conditions and qualifications are met.
80/20 Bridge Replacement Program
Under Gov. Bevin's directive, local governments will also be able to utilize the Cabinet's 80/20 Bridge Replacement program.
In 2010, KYTC allowed local governments to use emergency road aid funds for the purpose of repairing or constructing new bridges on the county road system. The fund does not allow counties to construct new bridges where one did not exist.
Counties now have the ability to access up to $80,000 per year from this account to pay 80 percent of the overall share of the county road fund dollars. A county can carry over the $80,000 for up to three years, whereby in the third year the county could access $240,000 of funds to pay 80 percent of the cost to repair one or more bridges on county roads. The county typically matches the other 20 percent of funding.
KYTC retains the authority to approve each bridge project.
This story was posted on 2016-03-01 12:13:11
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
To sponsor news and features on ColumbiaMagazine, please use our contact form.
More articles from topic Kentucky:
Lockheed Martin agrees to pay $5 million for Paducah violations
Louisville chiropractor pleads guilty to health care fraud
Louisville man charged in the shooting of a US Postal Carrier
Gov. Bevin announces 3 newest KY Work Ready Communities
AG Beshear secures guilty plea from ex-Lee County Circuit Clerk
Rodney Ballard named new Kentucky Corrections Commissioner
Former soldier guilty of illegal export of defense article
Deadline for KY F&W game warden postions is 14 Feb 2016
District 3 Crews Complete Snow and Ice Operations
State tax refunds will take longer in 2016
View even more articles in topic Kentucky
Click for Info
Bank of Columbia
If You're Thinking of Selling,
Let Us Do the Yelling
Principal Broker & Auctioneer
Burton Real Estate
& Auction Service
Call Us For Appraisals
Click for Listings
On This Site
or Click Here
The Best of
Local Stories of
The Greatest Generation
Order Book or e-Book
See who's celebrating
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Special Events List
ColumbiaMagazine.com content is available as an RSS/XML feed for your RSS reader or other news aggregator.
Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.