Everything for Your Home's
Beauty, Comfort & Convenience
704 Jamestown St, Columbia
Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Duo County Telecom
Now Available Through
Your Cable Service!
What's Going On
see ColumbiaMagazine'sEvents List
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Get weather alerts for Adair County
Provided by the Adair Co Fiscal Court and the Adair Co. Emergency Mgt. Agency
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
Campbellsville Trail Town task force receives grant
Several events being planned for May and August, in "Get Fit Taylor County" program
Click on headline for full story with photo(s)
By Donnetta Tungate
The Campbellsville Trail Town Task Force received a $5,000.00 grant from the McDonald's Corporation to implement a biking event in Campbellsville and raise funds for a charity.
Multiple event proposals were presented to Mr. Joe Graviss, the initiator of the grant. After much collaboration, the "Get Fit Taylor County" event was established with a follow-up event in August.
According to the grant proposal, no more than $1,500.00 will be allowed to go towards the combined events.
Additional funding is required to assist in matching the grant money to successfully educate and engage our community in exercise, in addition to assisting kids with diabetes to attend camp and purchase kiosks for the trails.
The following is an outline of events:
- May 6, 2013 - Proclamation by Mayor and County Judge Executive proclaiming "Get Fit Taylor County Week"
- May 7, 2013 - A Bicycle Work Shop for Taylor and Campbellsville High Schools and community sponsored by 21st Century Program
- May 8, 2013 -Campbellsville Middle School walking and biking to school with Mayor. Event is organized by health department.
- May 9-10, 2013 -Bicycle Safety School Assemblies by local Trail Town trained City Policemen.
- May 10, 2013 -Evening Events on Main Street include: Downtown Merchant's Market on Main with fresh fruits, vegetables and local crafts. A special meal for bikers and runners available at "Happy Days" restaurant and Exercise in the streets for all.
- May 11, 2013 Events:
- 8am-10amET--5K Run at Green River State Park organized by "Friends of Green River".
- 11am-5pmET--"The Sweet Ride" biking to benefit Campbellsville Trail Town and local children with diabetes to attend Camp Hendon in Leitchfield KY. Multiple routes are available for ages 5 years to adult. Follow-up with Connexions in August. PSA'S on Diabetes, Benefits of Exercise, Biking, and Trails prior to events.
August 24, 2013--Connexions Octathalon. This event provides more than 8 forms for activity opportunities for citizens to experience of all ages.
We are in need of funds to assist with both May and August events. Please contact any Trail Town Task Force member or myself to make donations or for questions.
We are excited about our citizens raising funds to assist local children with diabetes to attend camp and to help with the development of trails and greenways in our community.
Donnetta Tungate, Chair,
Campbellsville Trail Town Task Force
This story was posted on 2013-04-10 17:07:08
this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story?
Use our contact form
and let us know.
To sponsor news and features on ColumbiaMagazine, please use our contact form.
Trail Town proclamation event, Tuesday, April 9, 2013|
2013-04-10 - Taylor County Courthouse, Campbellsville, KY - Photo from Alisha Nelson.
"Get Fit Taylor County" proclamation signing was Tuesday, April 9, 2013, in front of the Union Soldiers on Way to Battle of Mill Springs at the Taylor County Courthouse. (per Judge Paul Patton; amplified below) Front row: Will Patton, Billy Dengal, (?), (?), Alisha Nelson, Becky Nash, Campbellsville Mayor Tony Young, Elsie Miller, Judge/Executive Eddie Rogers, Donnetta Tungate (leader of Campbellsville Trail Town Task Force), Jim Moore, (?), Les Chadwick and Paul Osborne. Back row: Daran Kennon, Jackie Hodges, Dave Buford and Greg Tungate. Trail Town photo from Alisha Nelson Identification of missing names would be greatly appreciated - CM
Historian and former Taylor County CJE Paul Patton writes:
"The mural on the Taylor County Court House depicts the moving of Union Troops down Main Street in Campbellsville on their way from Lebanon to Nancy, KY where they engaged in the Battle of Mill Springs which was fought in January, 1862.
"The three officers pictured in the mural were the three highest military officers to pass through Campbellsville during the Civil War. In the center is General George Thomas. On the left is Col. Robert McCook who later became a general. The man on the right is Col. Mahlon Manson who also became a general later in the war. Col. McCook and Col. Manson were Brigade leaders under General Thomas. - Paul Patton"
Read More... | Comments? | Click here to share, print, or bookmark this photo.