| ||||||||||
Dr. Ronald P. Rogers CHIROPRACTOR Support for your body's natural healing capabilities 270-384-5554 Click here for details ![]() ![]() ![]() Columbia Gas Dept. GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL Contact Numbers 24 hrs/ 365 days 270-384-2006 or 9-1-1 Call before you dig Visit ColumbiaMagazine's Directory of Churches Addresses, times, phone numbers and more for churches in Adair County Find Great Stuff in ColumbiaMagazine's Classified Ads Antiques, Help Wanted, Autos, Real Estate, Legal Notices, More... |
JIM: The Nazarene Church buildings, 1947-1948 When 1947 fire burned the sanctuary first built for a United Brethren church, the Columbia Church of the Nazarene temporarily met in the chapel of Lindsey Wilson College. The devastating fire occurred shortly after the furnace had been fired up for the Sunday morning services. By JIM The Nazarene Church buildings, 1947-1948 As stated in Nicole Legg's note yesterday (Old Church Bell guards another piece of Nazarene history), the original Nazarene Church building was the one erected in the 1914-15 by the United Brethren in Christ and was located at what currently is 308 Jamestown Street. In late 1914, the then-proposed structure was described in the News as "a frame 31 x 42, with recess pulpit, 16 x 28 room on North side for Sunday School and also 30 x 42 basement" with an anticipated cost was $3,000. It was dedicated in mid-October, 1915, but in 1919 it was sold to T.G. Rasner for $800, that amount being the balance of the mortgage. The building was acquired by the Columbia Church of the Nazarene about five years later. The October 1, 1947 edition of the News devoted but two short paragraphs to the Nazarene Church fire, stating it occurred on Sunday morning (September 28th) and that it "completely destroyed the interior" of the frame structure. The article also stated that "The building became ignited from the furnace just after a fire had been built shortly before the Sunday School hours...[and] the damage was extensive..." The pastor, Rev. Robert Altman, was quoted as saying the loss was "only partially covered by insurance." Two weeks later, the paper reported that a contract had been let to Scott Brothers to replace the old building, the new one to "be erected upon the site of the old one on Jamestown Street," constructed of brick, and finished with stucco. Rev. Altman expressed the hope the new edifice would be ready for use by February, 1948. Another front page article informed readers that for the time being, the Nazarene Church services would be held in the chapel of Lindsey Wilson College with Sunday School at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11. No more news about the church or the new building appeared (at least not on the front page of the News) until the April 7, 1948, edition, in which Rev. Altman announced that "opening services in the new church building recently completed in Jamestown Street, will be held on Sunday, April 11..." (No followup of the dedication appeared in subsequent issues of the News.) This story was posted on 2012-05-28 01:44:46
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know. More articles from topic Jim: History:
JIM: Appreciates work of historian Chris Bennett JIM: Adair County writers II: Judge H.C. Baker JIM: Mr. Walker calls the election, 1912 JIM: News nuggets from 110 year ago (May 21, 1902) JIM: The Beulah Chapel church building, 1942 JIM: A big coincidence - Weldon-Grenfell posters same day, different sources JIM: The Lindsey Wilson Closing Exercises, 1912 JIM: Col. Wolford's busy day JIM: An all day wedding at the Rexroats, Font Hill, Russell Co., KY JIM: A little something to spice up Monday morning. View even more articles in topic Jim: History |
![]() |
||||||||
| ||||||||||
Quick Links to Popular Features
Looking for a story or picture? Try our Photo Archive or our Stories Archive for all the information that's appeared on ColumbiaMagazine.com. | ||||||||||
Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728. Please use our contact page, or send questions about technical issues with this site to webmaster@columbiamagazine.com. All logos and trademarks used on this site are property of their respective owners. All comments remain the property and responsibility of their posters, all articles and photos remain the property of their creators, and all the rest is copyright 1995-Present by Columbia! Magazine and D'Zine, Ltd. Privacy policy: use of this site requires no sharing of information. Voluntarily shared information may be published and made available to the public on this site and/or stored electronically. Anonymous submissions will be subject to additional verification. Cookies are not required to use our site. However, if you have cookies enabled in your web browser, some of our advertisers may use cookies for interest-based advertising across multiple domains. For more information about third-party advertising, visit the NAI web privacy site.
|