Everything for Your Home's
Beauty, Comfort & Convenience 384-2123
704 Jamestown St, Columbia
Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
Real Estate & Auction Co.
Duo County Telecom
Now Available Through
Your Cable Service!
GUN & PAWN
What's Going On
Info about the
Janice Holt Giles
and Henry Giles Society
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
Mt. Gilead Christian Church will celebrate 175th year Sunday, July 24, 2005
Photo will accompany this article
Greensburg, KY- Mt. Gilead Christian Church is set to celebrate their 175th year on Sunday, July 24, 2005. The history of the church building and the land in which it sits started back during the days of the pioneers.
In 1770, while Daniel Boone was alone exploring territory along the Cumberland River, Colonel James Knox and a party of forty hunters from Virginia and Carolina came to Kentucky, bringing dogs, traps, hunters equipment, and pack horses, and established a central camp on the Cumberland River, now Wayne County.
They separated into smaller parties, which were to meet back at this central camp once every five weeks to deposit their pelts and plan future movements. Colonel Knox, with 27 hunters, soared deeper into the wilderness and came to a site, now known as Old Camp Knox, on the waters of Skin House Branch and Caney Fork Creek, near the line of what is now Adair and Green Counties.
This was a popular trail crossing area for buffalo, deer, and many other wild animals, due partly to the abundance of water, salt and sulphur minerals, fine grass, and heavy cane brake, which supplied winter feed, so the hunters planted camp here and finding it to be such a good hunting area, did not return to their central camp in five weeks as they had planned to do, but remained two years - for that reason were called "Long Hunters".
The hunters had 2,300 pelts, some in the tanning vats, when a group of Indians made an attack. The Long Hunters then fled, leaving the pelts, and returned to the central camp where they were further discouraged and returned to Virginia. However, some of the Long Hunters later returned with their families and settled in the area.
Erection of church of log construction in 1790
As new settlers came and the community grew, a need for a place of worship was met by the erection of a church of log construction in 1790. This erection was placed on public land, known among the settlers as "Free State". The exact location of the skin house erected by the "Long Hunters" and destroyed by the Indians was chosen for the church site for sentimental reasons.
This church was known as Camp Knox Union. The people professed a religion in common and were not particular about denominational beliefs, they wished to welcome the traveling ministers with disregard to denomination, so for these reasons the church was established as a union, non-denominational place of worship.
School House with Community Hall in 1828
This settlement grew and prospered exceedingly well. Among the progressive movements was the erection of a School House with a Community Hall in the second story, and in 1828 the need for a larger church to accommodate the need of the community was met by the erection of a brick structure, which is the structure that is used today.
The bricks were made of clay dug from local earth, and burned in a kiln which was located near-by. The pews and pulpit that stand, were made by local craftsmen, of locally obtained yellow poplar timber of the finest quality, and a Southern Colonial style piano was imported. On July 25, 1830 this church was dedicated as the Mt. Gilead Church of Christ, this congregation continues to meet every Lords Day for worship under the leadership of Brother Billy F. Minor and continues to maintain the church building and grounds.
Public is invited to attend
The members of Mt. Gilead Christian Church plan to welcome any member of the public to attend their 175th celebration on Sunday, July 24, 2005. Morning services begin at 10:00 a.m. (ct), lunch will follow on the grounds with the program starting at 1:00 p.m. including guest preachers, singing, fellowship and a display of historical information and items about the church.
Mt. Gilead Christian Church is located on Skinhouse Branch Road, from Route 61 take Long Hunters Camp Road near the Adair-Green County line. From Route 55 take Coburg Road near the Adair-Taylor County line, turn left onto Haskingsville Road and left onto Skinhouse Branch Road.
Story courtesy of
Robin Rae Hancock
7362 Hwy 55 South
Columbia, KY 42728
Live Well-Laugh Often-Love Much
This story was posted on 2005-07-14 22:50:27
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
To sponsor news and features on ColumbiaMagazine, please use our contact form.