Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
What's Going On
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
Ads from a bygone era offer insight into turn-of-century lifestyle
Looking back one hundred twenty years, ads in the Adair County News in mid-May 1901 reveal a fair amount about life then.
Several area hotels touted their accommodations. The newly renovated Hancock Hotel just off the square on Burkesville Street offered a feed stable for horses as well as meals both for guests and the public at large, the table "supplied with the best the market affords."
Other area lodging accommodations included the recently opened Commercial Hotel (Holt & Vaughan, Props.) and the more established Patterson (J.B. Patterson, Prop.) in Jamestown; the Russell Springs Hotel (Vaughan & Graham, Props.), in Kimble; and the Wilmore Hotel, in Gradyville, W.M. Wilmore, Prop., which offered reasonable rates, a feed stable, and "a first class table."
E.W. Hopewell & Albin Murray, dba Hopewell & Murray, offered "livery, feed, and safe stable" in connection with the Marcum Hotel (exit corner of Greensburg Street and the square), promising "first class rigs with safe drivers furnished day or night -- drummer's rigs a specialty."
Mr. George Lee, proprietor of the Campbellsville Stage Line, gave his assurance of "sound stock, comfortable stage, safe driver [and] courteous attention to passengers." The hack left Columbia at six a.m. sharp Monday through Saturday to make connection with the Campbellsville to Louisville train, and departed Campbellsville for Columbia at 3:20 p.m., "just after arrival of the Louisville train."
J.W. Coffey, blacksmith and woodworker of Columbia, solicited any and all work in his line, stating his prices were right and guaranteeing satisfaction. His competition, Parson, Moss & Co., also of Columbia, offered similar services.
W.F. Jeffries & Son hardware store, on the exit corner of Jamestown Street, carried a complete line of Deering brand binders, twines, mowers, and rakes as well as other lines of cultivators and farm wagons and offered repairs for bridles, saddles, harness, and buggies. As a side hustle, the elder Mr. Jeffries acted as the local agent for Corcoran & Daisy, owners of the Lebanon Marble Works, "manufacturers of dealers in all kinds of marble and granite monuments."
J.W. Jackman, on the square between the Bank of Columbia (then on the corner of Burkesville Street) and the west corner) solicited buyers for the Excelsior corn drill, "The cheapest ever sold in the country. It works to perfection." In addition, Mr. Jackman had "a splendid line" of leather goods -- bridles, harness, and the like.
Wheat & Williams down Montpelier way carried a large stock of general merchandise, along with farming implements such as hay rakes and cultivators.
In Russell County, the venerable J.H. Smith & Co., general merchants of Font Hill, proudly announced the addition of undertaker's goods and would have on hand "for quick notices" a complete line of coffins, "from the finest to the cheapest," with the promise that "A coffin can be trimmed and sent out in only a few hours after notification."
Back in Adair County, Mr. N. Wood, lodging at the Marcum Hotel, kept busy taking orders for hydraulic rams "to throw water from your springs to your houses or barns." Judge James Garnett and James, Jr. (pere et fil), each had ordered one of Mr. Wood's "Rife Automatic Engines" along with the piping necessary to "throw water from the spring to both houses."
W.L. Walker, whose big box store stood next door to J.W. Jackman's establishment, offered dry goods, hosiery, notions ("12\0xBDc/yard New York Camlets"), shoes, groceries (five cents bought five pounds of rice), shoes, clothing, carpets, mattresses, and chairs, among many other shopping choices (wire nails, 3\0xBDc/lb).
Russell & Murrell (better remembered by its later styling, Russell & Co.), Columbia's other big box store then on the entry corner of Burkesville Street, boasted of having "just returned from the market with an immense stock of goods for the summer trade."
Lyon & Turner of Campbellsville, "dealers in fine buggies and carriages," noted they bought by the (train) car load and therefore could sell their merchandise "at short profit."
W.T. Stephens of Elkhorn offered "dry goods, notions, boots, shoes" as well as keeping an abundant stock of clothing and a nice line of millinery on hand.
This story was posted on 2021-05-16 15:51:31
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
More articles from topic Jim: History:
Foree Hood and the brief saga of Sal-Lac
Sam Judd, Adair Co. folk artist extraordinaire
Whittlers of by-gone eras, and the museum that wasn't
Christmas in Adair County, 1930
Black Cake recipes from the early 1900s
Changes on the Square: The Hutchison Building, 1931
The Grocery Store on the Corner, 1914-1942
Pfc. Harold Leonard Burton: Freedom is Never Free
Early November 1940: Odds and ends from around Columbia
Some changes on the Square, 1945
View even more articles in topic Jim: History
Bank of Columbia
The Best of
Local Stories of
The Greatest Generation
Order Book or e-Book
See who's celebrating
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Special Events List
Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.